Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I want to thank the organizers, volunteers and participants for the very successful day we had ripping around the parking lot burning up tires, brakes and some dino juice. Both myself and my car had big smiles on our faces when we arrived home.

Awesome event indeed! Thanks to all the organizers/volunteers. Mike Dunlop filmed a great clip of me recovering a slide and then punting a cone . . . good fun.
    Erik

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke
    1970 911E - Bahia Red, mostly rust, and coming soon

Two thumbs up to the organizers, volunteers, and participants for three great, and safe, sessions this year! Learned a lot, spent some more money on the car, and had a blast. Can’t believe we have to wait 10 months for the next one!
    12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic
    '81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

2018 PCA WRR NOT-AN-AUTOCROSS AUTO-X EVENT #3 - Sunday, August 19th 2018

I’d like to thank all the participants & volunteers of our 3rd & sadly, final Not-An-Autocross Auto-X event of 2018 that took place Sunday, August 19th. (my wife & daughter are the only people happy the events are done for the season lol).

What a difference a year makes! Last year the club’s 2 autocross events were on the verge of being cancelled because it struggled to get enough participants. This year we were required to do things a bit differently. The club executive believed in the need to provide this opportunity for the members so much so that they put faith in the committee’s conviction & capabilities by spending some big bucks on equipment just for the events. It worked out great! We increased participation for the first 2 events & sold out this last event!

It’s the amazing support of the club executive, the enthusiastic participation of the drivers & the usually thankless & tireless jobs volunteers do behind the scenes that ensure the success of these events. A big thank you to the performance driving committee: Brodie Green, Al Koenig & Mark Becker as well as our Safety Chair, David McEwan. For the record, even all of us still registered as drivers & paid the registration fee on top of donating, supplying & sponsoring some of the supplies for the event. For this final event of the season, we also sourced & purchased new, more powerful antennas for the timing gear that paid off as not a single issue with the timing gear all day!

In addition to the committee, the following members helped set up the sea of cones the day before: Danielle G, Malcolm B, Mark S, Paul A, & of course local autocross guru, Reijo Silvennoinen, who also designed an amazing course, in fact 1.2 km long course with a section modelled after the triple apex Istanbul corner that Nico Rosberg said it was his favourite corner of the F1 circuit! Coincidentally, it's also incorporated into the Badlands Motorsports track design.

On the actual day, last minute set up in the morning went very smoothly, again because of the volunteers already mentioned but also Kevin J, Ted B, Mike D & Al’s wife Jacqueline, who wrote all the time slips for all the drivers for all 3 events. A big thank you also to the drivers who also spent time out on the course replacing the cones that were knocked over as well as being a really good group overall in terms of following instructions & keeping things flowing. Also a thank you to Porsche Centre Calgary’s Miles McEwing, who donated the lunch for the participants.

Many drivers got more than their money’s worth in the number of runs & expert instruction. The brand new drivers & even experienced drivers left the event having learned something new about their cars & themselves. Each event highlights some areas where we can improve a few things & we’ve already started brainstorming improvements for the next year’s events even though they’re 9-10 months away! We are predicting next year’s events will all sell out very quickly. Depending how the winter goes, the idea of a winter driving event is being tossed around. If that doesn’t happen, oh it’s gonna be a long winter!
    Last edited by dragon; 08-20-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff

Great event. I've only owned my 997 for about 6 weeks now. But that was the first time I got to drive the car in anger and not worry about getting pulled over. I am definitely game for next season. Perhaps even float the idea of scheduling 4 events instead of 3? Heck why stop at 4. Can I hear 6? Okay maybe getting ahead of myself. 4 will do.

Countless thanks to you as well Yoon, the amount of your personal time given in preparation and organising is clearly evident and greatly appreciated! At all 3 events this year participants received incredible value for money spent. With the exception of Brodie I think everyone got their fill of driving fun.

So...dates for next year?.....lol!

Yes thanks Yoon, and everyone involved, another fantastic outing! I have a few pics I will try to get together this weekend. I think we should also post some times for classes, skill, etc. so we have something personally to shoot for for next year
    Bob James

79 - 911 SC Sold

06 Cayman S
    2010 Panamera Turbo

Great event, thanks to everyone who helped out and made this happen. Just awesome fun!
    87 Carrera Coupe (it's purple, not red)
    73 914 2.0 (project)
    04 GT3
    05 Ducati 999
    89 Vespa (former Italian Postal scooter)
    My legs, they work too