Cayman in winter

shross

Thinking of buying a Cayman for the winter and putting the Nokian studded tires on it. Anyone with experiences (especially from last winter) driving this car through the snow and ice?

Thanks

Brodie winter drives his 911 Turbo, albeit it's an AWD car.

I've always been a devotee of winter-driven RWD sports cars, ever since my start as a 16 year old daily driving a RWD sports car in Edmonton winters. The only drawbacks in my mind are: (a) getting smoked off the line by lesser cars that have AWD; and (b) lacking ground clearance over deep ruts.

Tires make all the difference. My anecdotal experience with studded tires on my current winter driven M3 is that: (a) they are somewhat, but not drastically, better at gripping on glare ice vs. the best non-studded winters (Hakkapeliitta R2/Michelin X-Ice); (b) they have less grip on dry city streets than non-studded tires; and © if you habitually spin the rear wheels, you will quickly shed all of your rear studs. My next set of tires on that car will be non-studded.

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

I’ve never been a fan of studs. Huge fan of good quality winter tires though. Had Hakkapelitas on my C4S and they were very grippy. Have Sottozeros on the C2S and am pleased so far. I don’t do a lot of winter driving as I’m fussy about salt. I run Blizzaks on my other vehicles with great success. I have a nice polyaspartic finish on my garage floor and worry that the studs may not be kind to the floor.
not a sports car but has +400hp the Cayenne runs all year round and in the winter wears Hakkapelitas on spare 18" rims.....fantastic winter tyres.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Nostrathomas

For what it's worth, my brother who lives in Saskatoon, has been using his Cayman as a year-round daily driver, including trips into the countryside where road maintenance is fairly suspect. That doesn't mean you should expect it to be a 4Runner of course, but with snow tires they can be as capable as many cars out there. Your biggest issue will be ground clearance in snow, and the general fear of someone sliding into you.

Personally, I also drove my Cayman from NY to Calgary in late November on performance summer tires, and half the trip was on icy/snowy roads. That's just stupid though because the tires turned into plastic, so don't be like me.

1990 964 C2 - Guards Red

2007 Cayman - Guards Red (former)

... plus the obvious benefit of heroic, snow-spraying drifts!*

*Professional driver on a closed course :D

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon