Turbo 997.1 (mid year refresh )MT with Mezger VS. 997.2 Turbo MT

tbessey

Looking for your opinions. If you had to make a choice of purchasing variations of the 997 Turbo MT, both about 30,000km, what would you pick and your thoughts on appreciation value (Both American Cars, both GT silver, in great shape and same ball park price)

Option 1:

997.1/2 Turbo MT (2009) Mezger engine (some of the 997.2 features - notably in the cabin)

Option 2:

997.2 Turbo MT (2011)

Thank you,

Tony

I think each has its own sets of pros and cons:

997.1.5 Turbo

Pros

- last of the Mezger engine Turbo cars (very rugged race proven and easily rebuildable), very mechanical sounding, dry sump more suitable for racing

- easier to make bigger power due to port fuel injection allowing easier upgrades

Cons

-may spin a cam

-engine small water pipes may come out as only glued in place

997.2 Turbo

Pros

-better handling (different suspension tune, variable stiffness engine mounts with Sport Chrono, torque vectoring with LSD)

-more power and better mileage stock

-last manual transmission Turbo car (rarer than 997.1 Turbo MT)

Cons

-possible fuel pump failures and engine failures from oil pump issues (pump is electrically flow controlled)

-very sterile sounding (engine and exhaust)

-not as easy to hop up for big power due to direct fuel injection, HP fuel pump, "integrated" dry sump can't handle race slick g force, need a tune to get more than stock power as the ECU limits the engine to the stock rating

Online it seems evenly split over the possible future appreciation - some think last Mezger and some think last manual Turbo. In recent history from my casual market following the 997.2 Turbos were always priced above 997.1 Turbos (of similar build, mileage and condition). This might have been due to the 997.2 Turbos being new enough to still have some warranty left or qualify for CPO - now that is over due to the age of the vehicles the price may drop somewhat for them.

I bought the 997.2 Turbo for the CPO and for the fact that it was the by far the best configuration I had seen to that point in time where I was also able to react quickly enough to buy. I hadn't ruled out buying a 997.1 Turbo at the time as I would have been happy with the right car in either vintage.

Wow, someone has done their home work. Great comparison Don.

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

Thanks so much guys...I really appreciate your thoughful response Don. Sounds like a coin flip however the 997.2 does look like it edges out from an investment perspective.
  • 6 months later...
mrdunlop944
Incredible machine congrats on the Turbo S

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

You are correct. All 997.2 Turbo S models are PDKs.

(I've had this one for a number of years) This one is in addition to my Turbo S. I guess I need to update my signature.