Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayenne cylinder scoring.

Hi all, had a friend mention to me today that hes experienced terminal cylinder scoring on TWO Cayennes. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Jeff

Not on ours, +250k kms and no issues.

There are several posts on Rennlist about cylinder scoring, IIRC they were all older models.
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed
    Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic
    Nordic Gold/Black, +270k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Red/Champange, 110k miles (US car)

That’s a good mileage with no issues. I’ve read the Rennkist posts and learned some newer vehicles had it too but the posts some people put are scary. Some suggest 1 in 5 had the issue but I just can’t see that. Seems like they are excellent vehicles.

Our 2008 Cayenne Turbo had scored cylinders at 120kms. We only owned it for 4 months when we found out. The new block from Porsche has improved cross hatching. Scoring appears to happen more frequently in cold climates. Another interesting thing is there have been 5 updates to the oil pump and a new style windage tray. Makes one think Porsche is aware of the problem.

PS: Where my engine is being built ther was another earlier model Cayenne S with a blown engine. And I have pictures of another first generation turbo with scored cylinders. There is a reason they come up cheap used
    Last edited by KMR 968 Turbo; 11-08-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Hmmm - I have an 08 Turbo and my Mom has an 04 S... what was the telltale sign? Knocking? Ticking?
    No block heaters on these - interesting design to be sure as cold doesn’t seem to be favourable...

My engine started with a light ticking noise. At first it was diagnosed with a possible timing chain tensioner problem. But after the cylinders were inspected it was obvious the walls were scored. The vehicle didn’t use much oil and no smoke out the pipes could be seen. I will find some of the bore pics so you can see what the damage was. Reading online another issue people brought up was the long oil change intervals approved by Porsche. It is recommended to change your oil much more frequently - like every 6000kms - if you live in a cold climate.

Here are the bore pictures, not very pretty.

Name:  Bore 1.JPG
Views: 473
Size:  111.2 KBName:  Bore 2.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  94.9 KBName:  Bore 3.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  104.7 KBName:  Bore 4.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  98.5 KBName:  Bore 5.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  107.1 KBName:  Bore 6.JPG
Views: 461
Size:  108.8 KBName:  Bore 7.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  79.2 KB

Yikes, look at that!

with respect to oil changes; Rotella 0W40 and new filter every 10k kms
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed
    Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic
    Nordic Gold/Black, +270k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Red/Champange, 110k miles (US car)

What happened to the 5000km oil change intervals? I understand oils are getting better and engines and more efficient but long distance driving, hauling, track days, AutoX, spirited drives, dust conditions, cold weather etc all on the same oil change, no way.. I remember the mobil1/Porsche commercial saying oil changes every 30000km?. This is what you get when you don’t change your oil Mobil/Porsche. Pretty sure I change my oil every 2500-3000km, this is normally due to the age of the oil and not by KM’s, eery 3 months or 5000km for me.

Best,
    Mike

85 944/1 Guards Red
    88 924S Guards Red
    90 944S2 coupe Zyclam Red Pearl Effect