2011 Panamera 4 Insight

Rob996

I am contemplating the purchase of a 2011 Panamera 4. Does anyone in the club have a similar car that can let me know what there opinion is. It would be a year round driver. Are there any reliability issues? I have been reading reviews on line but I find them one sided as most people don't post good reviews.

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

given its +7 years old and its driving well I'd think any short term issues are dealt with; a good pre purchase inspection would reveal anything major.

how many miles? were the brakes replaced? think of what would wear out in that time/mileage.

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Nice Rob great choice, I can’t chime in on any issues but any properly driven vehicle should be reliable. Service records and inspection is always a must.

I would also like to purchase a Panamera.. I want to buy Loc’s 4s.

Loc, Trades for a red 944? Haha

Edited by mrdunlop944

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

KMR 968 Turbo
given its +7 years old and its driving well I'd think any short term issues are dealt with; a good pre purchase inspection would reveal anything major.

how many miles? were the brakes replaced? think of what would wear out in that time/mileage.

Malcolm, I thought the same about my Cayenne Turbo. Right up until the engine started ticking. Personally, I would avoid a used Panamera like the plague. Just too expensive to fix if something goes wrong. For example, my Cayenne was $25k with 120,000 kms on it. I put less than 10,000 kms on it and now am facing a $20k+ engine rebuild. Hard to justify on a vehicle worth $25k but hard not to repair because nobody wants to walk away from $25k. The best case scenario for me is to put the money in and drive it until it drops. Not ideal but that is the situation. I would not want to be in the same boat on a Panamera.

you could apply the same thought/logic to any used Porsche/luxury car. My position is not all Cayennes/Panameras with the V8 engine suffered from cylinder wall issues and I own a great example. It would be interesting to know the numbers of Cayennes with the same issues, low Id think.

After all didnt 'some' flat 6 engines suffer from terminal bearing issues; again low numbers and I havent heard of any owner in our club suffering from this.

For this particular car that Rob is looking at the discussion is somewhat moot anyway; the Panamera is equipped with the V6 :)

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

I have gone through all the same arguments in my head. I am also an owner of a used 2001 996 that has the "IMS Bearing" issue. Got a good deal on the car and have 3 years trouble free. I am also toying with the option of finding a Black Hard Top for my 996 Cab and a set of Winters and just enjoying it year round. All of these First World Problems. hahaha.

Thanks for all of the input. :cool:

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

KMR 968 Turbo

Malcolm,

We have actually had a few IMS/RMS failures in the club - mostly with early model Boxsters. You are right in that it doesn't mean they all suffer from it but there are enough failures occuring to make one concerned. Probably why the early Boxsters/996's are discounted so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2010 PTT, and a PPI is key. Mine helped me find out the cam shaft bolt recall wasn’t done, so I made sure it was before buying. I plan to do as much work on it myself where possible. Biggest issue is the bushing in the front suspension fails, all of them, upper, lower control arms, sways. I need to do mine, but will wait for spring.

already did all filters, plugs, coils and have front rotors and pads waiting till spring.

Find the right car and go for it...

Bob James

06 Cayman S

2018 Macan GTS

• 3 weeks later...
I have a panamera and absolutely love it...but got mine with porsche certified warranty so makes the buying process of a used vehicle less worrisome. PM me if you want any details on owning one.
I have a panamera and absolutely love it...but got mine with porsche certified warranty so makes the buying process of a used vehicle less worrisome. PM me if you want any details on owning one.

My Cayenne is a certified warranty vehicle and when I asked 'our' dealership for history I was provided a stack of paperwork (good man Derek)......:)

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T