Porsche quality

malcolm

well my '09 Cayenne with only 265k kms needs some TLC.........damn front brakes are worn out!

New rotors and pads (2nd set) will be installed and then...........guess I'll keep on driving.

From those interested I'll post procedure and pics on tech forum :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

KMR 968 Turbo
And my 08 Cayenne Turbo with 120k kms has a blown motor. While my wife’s 09 Civic has 300k and is still going strong. I also know a number of people having problems with their Cayennes. It almost seems hit or miss with them. Just posting so that anyone reading doesn’t assume all Cayennes are golden Edited by KMR 968 Turbo
Based on my past casual reading & this post, it seems that the tale of the Cayenne is either "love it" or "run away"...I wonder why there is such disparity, is it the engineering? quality control? or just luck of the draw?...

It is an interesting discussion as the early model Cayenne known issues; coolant pipes seperating, drive shaft support bearing, cylinder scoring etc. Just read the PPI guidelines in Rennlist and it makes you wonder if any ran beyond 100k miles (or so). The newer models seem to the issues resolved albeit im not in that market.

Expand the debate to include the bearing issues that destroys the flat 6 engine or the belt tensioner system that if fails allows the cam timing to go out and valves hit pistons on early V8 engines or.......etc. etc.

When its right though you have a fantastic vehicle with great performance, braking and handling..........worth the money? I think so :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Like any high end, over-complicated modern car, it's an "eyes wide open" ownership experience. Even if nothing catastrophic goes wrong, like the above-noted Cayenne issues, a lot of people get in over their heads with expensive repairs on cars that were never designed to be cheap to maintain. These cars reach a certain price point and get purchased by people that are either ill-informed, don't care, or can't afford to maintain them. Stay away from those. (Setting aside the outright fraud that Dumas was a victim of . . .)

The best advice I can give is to find a good example that was well taken care of - "buy the owner and not the car". My daily driver is a Range Rover Supercharged that cost ~$150,000 new and I bought for a fraction of that. A lot of people say "oh those are unreliable and expensive to maintain." Sure! But I found one that has very low km for its age, great ownership history and full service records. A PPI identified a couple issues (brakes at end of life, leaking rear air struts), both of which were identified in the PPI and factored into the laughably low purchase price. Fixed with quality aftermarket solutions for a fraction of the main dealer's quote and it's been trouble free ever since. Plus, don't buy a British or Italian car made on a Friday . . .

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon