Pricing getting closer, but maybe not quite there...

unreal6

I'm sure we've all been watching the Cdn dollar as it draws even, and even exceeds the value of the US greenback. I guess Porsche Canada has been watching too, and as of Jan 4 has been making very splashy announcements that Canadian pricing has been reduced across the model range to better reflect the strength of our currency, and to bring our prices closer in line with those paid by our US cousins.

In a fit of curiosity, I popped open the US and Cdn Porsche websites side by side and did some comparisons. Hooray! Prices are indeed down. But it still looks like those lucky Canadians in the market for a new Porsche are still being charged a 14% premium over those buyers south of the 49th parallel.

To me, I'm still not convinced that the premium is justified. But on the other hand, I didn't just buy a new Porsche, nor am I in the market for a new one this year either. So my opinion may not really matter much.

Things have been a little slow around the forums of late, so thought I'd throw a bit of controversy out there for some interesting local opinion. Got a view on this you might care to share?

I'm sure that car manufactures are crunching the numbers and know how many Canadians are buying new cars from the US instead of Canada. Dropping the prices a couple of points may make the difference for most people who are buying a new car.

Maybe for some, saving 10 or 15 thousand dollars on a hundred thousand dollar car isn't worth the hassle of going to the US. There is also the hope that when you buy a car from a Canadian dealer you are building a relationship because lets face it you and the dealer will be in this together for several years (Warranty and maintenance).

Guest ArcticOne

And based on the size of the Canadian market vs the US market I don't have a problem with the US prices being cheaper.

As Brodie says, there are some definite advantages by not shopping south of the medicine line.

jb

The same can't be said for any Porsche accessories however! Check out the "Porsche Driver's Selection" online catalogue. I bought a 911 "Chronograph" from Sonnen Porsche in California. It was listed at $629 US, whereas through the Southcentre Porsche online catalogue it's listed at $909 cdn......44% difference......are you kidding me!

Alex

'80 911SC Targa

'06 997 C4S Coupe

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

In a fit of curiosity, I popped open the US and Cdn Porsche websites side by side and did some comparisons. Hooray! Prices are indeed down. But it still looks like those lucky Canadians in the market for a new Porsche are still being charged a 14% premium over those buyers south of the 49th parallel.

Me talking about new Porsche pricing is in the same category as me talking about a group bubblebath with the Victoria's Secret models, so let's just lose sight of reality for a sec.

Ian does that 14% account for the 6% duty? I.e. is it 8% or 20% in reality? While I can understand the desire to establish a good relationship with a local dealer and would rather spend my money here, that's only worth a certain premium over what I would have to pay to buy a new car out of the U.S. and have it arrive here - I think a lot of people just look at the straight exchange and discount the state sales taxes, transportation of a vehicle here (or the cost of flying down and waiting 3 days to cross with it and whatnot).

As Alex points out, it really is a shame that Porsche Canada cannot get their logistics figure out for equitable pricing of parts, but as I understand it, the supply chain is quite different for Canada vs. the U.S. so once again, we get screwed.

Oh well. As Ferrari of Alberta stands as a testament to, there are still lots of people with money and no regard for price.

Ian does that 14% account for the 6% duty? I.e. is it 8% or 20% in reality? While I can understand the desire to establish a good relationship with a local dealer and would rather spend my money here, that's only worth a certain premium over what I would have to pay to buy a new car out of the U.S. and have it arrive here - I think a lot of people just look at the straight exchange and discount the state sales taxes, transportation of a vehicle here (or the cost of flying down and waiting 3 days to cross with it and whatnot)..

I didn't account for duties at all, so you make an excellent point there. So its really 8% I guess, which might be shrunk a little further if Cdn cars come with more content as standard than the US versions (like that bilingual airbag decal, that's gotta be worth something). The transport issue is a cost to some, maybe a benefit (road trip in your new Porsche, paid for with your 8% savings!!!) to others.