US car Insurance

malcolm

Last year we bought a car in Texas and mange to get insurance and temp. tags through a friend. Now looking at moving the insurance to similar to what we have here in Canada where the car(s) are recognised as being driven but limited miles (less than 10K/yr) and stored all winter. Appreciate if experience with Hagerty or any other insurers on South side of border.

TIA :)

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

I have my 911 on a Hagerty policy - technically it's through a brokerage here in town, but to get set up, I was dealing directly with their customer service and underwriting people down in Michigan. No complaints so far.

Positives are the agreed value they pay out in the event of a loss and the low cost provided you don't want to use the car for anything except the extremely limited purposes their policy allows, i.e. "entering a parade or going for ice cream on a Sunday afternoon in the summer." No road trips, no commuting, and no grocery store, for example, without risk of not having a claim paid. I'm paying a substantial amount more because I negotiated the ability to do all that normal car stuff within my limited km. Hence my experience with the underwriting department. They made me jump through a few hoops, and I did get my policy in the end, paying the same-ish premium that I paid for a normal policy through Cooperators.

A negative would be, there is no option to take the car off insurance for the winter, and Hagerty requires the full premium to be paid regardless of whether the car is stored or driven. A fair trade, given how cheap their standard policy can be.

What triggered this was calling to make a change to my house insurance policy, back when I had the car insured with Cooperators, and having the customer service person say "our underwriting department requires me to read you this statement: in the event of a loss on your 911, your claim will be paid on the actual cash value (i.e. depreciated "book value" of ~$0) of your car." I guess they woke up to the increasing values and decided they did not want the risk.

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

thanks Eric, appreciate the info.

We would be looking for a policy that does cover a few road trips then storage ins (fire and theft) where the road trip coverage can be turned on and off without much hassel (phone call/email) for when were down there. I'll call Hagerty direct, then if needed contact our local brokerage.

cheers.

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)