Wanted - Factory Stereo head unit for a 2001 996

Rob996

I am looking for a working factory correct stereo head unit for a 2001 996.

PCM or CDR? I think I have a CDR-220.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

PCM or CDR? I think I have a CDR-220.

I am looking for the single DIN unit so I believe it is the CDR unit.

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

Does your car have any fancy audio (think Bose,etc.)? The CDR220 is as minimal as they come. Mine is from my 986 Boxster, which had no audio enhancements, which is how I was able to get away with upgrading to a PCRN, even though it was not listed as compatible.

My 2000 996 also has a CDR220, but again no amp,etc.

If you car originally came with a dual DIN head unit, a single probably won’t work. IIRC the dual DIN radios used the MOST bus.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Does your car have any fancy audio (think Bose,etc.)? The CDR220 is as minimal as they come. Mine is from my 986 Boxster, which had no audio enhancements, which is how I was able to get away with upgrading to a PCRN, even though it was not listed as compatible.

My 2000 996 also has a CDR220, but again no amp,etc.

If you car originally came with a dual DIN head unit, a single probably won’t work. IIRC the dual DIN radios used the MOST bus.

I do not have the Bose speakers. The previous owner put a double DIN touchscreen in (a bit of a hack job) that would slide out under spirited driving. I am going back to a factory look and have relocated the heater controls back to the top of the dash.

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

There seems to be a lot available on eBay, so you be able to find one. If not, let me know.

One other ‘gotcha’ to be aware of, Europe and Japan head units used different wiring pinouts in that era. So the hack job might have bit you there,too.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

the other gotcha is heads from other countries tune to different frequency bands than North America. Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

• 3 weeks later...
Another gotcha is that the 996 had at least three different head units in that time frame. You need to check and see if you have a remote amp or if the amp was builtinto the head unit. If the amp was in the head unit, you wont have the wiring available to uninstall the 2din unit and plug in a 1 din unit. One way to ceck is to look at the sticker under your hood or in the owners maintenance book. Record the option codes and look them up on line. This will tell you what head unit your car had.