Self Isolation

stevew

Malcolm, who's is that?!

928 buddy who has gone over to 911 just prior to C-19, we gathered at social distance to view the new ride then exercised the machines as they should and blew out the winter cobwebs :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

I'm kind of glad that the isolation continues, it gives me more time to finish projects.

I've laid down the (hopefully) final coats of clear on my helmet.

I'll let it cure for a few days then polishing and reassembly. I can't wait to see it complete.20200413_205622.jpg

20200413_205547.jpg

20200413_205633.jpg

20200413_205553.jpg20200413_205559.jpg20200413_205613.jpg

Thank you all, I'm glad it worked out well. Had I known how much work it was going to be, I might have stuck to stickers :)

BTW, if you're interested in a custom helmet, let me know. It's a fun thing to do these days.

Is there any risk to helmet integrity with the treatment?

This is a great question (that I researched myself before going for it).

Most brands mention that you shouldn't paint the helmet, etc. Most, but not all brands.

Also, all pro racers, the ones that I would say are the most likely to be in the big crashes, have painted helmets.

It is recommended to use water-based paints (acrylics) rather than solvent-based, as solvents are more aggressive and could weaken the shell.

The main thing is that what protects you isn't so much the shell as the foam inside it. The shell itself is there to protect against intrusions of course, but the main thing is the foam itself. As long as you don't destroy the shell, and you don't weaken the foam either, then you're fine.

I masked everything in my helmet, as I didn't want to mess with everything in it and risk re-assembling it improperly. I only worked on the outside part, sanding the factory finish, priming, painting then clear coating the artwork.

But in the end it's up to the owner of the helmet to decide if they're comfortable with this ;)

Keith Adams

Found a little time on the long weekend (it's funny that despite being isolated at home, it's still only the weekend when I get any time to do any work - the biggest relief of the weekends now is that there's no tournaments, no horse shows, no teenagers working, no hauling horses and no running errands). The engine is making slow progress.

IMG_1982.jpg

I had some spray cans made up using the actual color codes from my current and past 911s. Add some frames, 3M carbon fiber wrap and CofAs and voila - wall decor

Frames.jpg

991.2 GT3, Mexico Blue

993 C4S, Stone Grey Metallic

1993 America Roadster, Black (for now)

2021 Taycan 4S, Chalk

Past

997.2 Turbo, Meteor Grey

2017 Macan GTS, White

991.2 GTS, Carmine Red

2020 Macan GTS, Chalk

KMR 968 Turbo
A friend had the convertible model. Truth be known, the engine was the best part of that car. Some of the cheapest plastics in the automobile industry.