Join Today
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Self Isolation

WRR Committee - Newsletter Editor KevinJ's Avatar
    Impressive! I just put stickers on mine.
    08 Boxster RS60
    11 Volvo XC70

Thank you all, I'm glad it worked out well. Had I known how much work it was going to be, I might have stuck to stickers
    BTW, if you're interested in a custom helmet, let me know. It's a fun thing to do these days.
    2015 Cayman S

Is there any risk to helmet integrity with the treatment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Is there any risk to helmet integrity with the treatment?
    This is a great question (that I researched myself before going for it).
    Most brands mention that you shouldn't paint the helmet, etc. Most, but not all brands.
    Also, all pro racers, the ones that I would say are the most likely to be in the big crashes, have painted helmets.

It is recommended to use water-based paints (acrylics) rather than solvent-based, as solvents are more aggressive and could weaken the shell.
    The main thing is that what protects you isn't so much the shell as the foam inside it. The shell itself is there to protect against intrusions of course, but the main thing is the foam itself. As long as you don't destroy the shell, and you don't weaken the foam either, then you're fine.

I masked everything in my helmet, as I didn't want to mess with everything in it and risk re-assembling it improperly. I only worked on the outside part, sanding the factory finish, priming, painting then clear coating the artwork.

But in the end it's up to the owner of the helmet to decide if they're comfortable with this
    2015 Cayman S

Found a little time on the long weekend (it's funny that despite being isolated at home, it's still only the weekend when I get any time to do any work - the biggest relief of the weekends now is that there's no tournaments, no horse shows, no teenagers working, no hauling horses and no running errands). The engine is making slow progress.

Name:  IMG_1982.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  256.6 KB

A three cylinder? Nice. Channeling your inner Pontiac Firefly I see. Haha

I had some spray cans made up using the actual color codes from my current and past 911s. Add some frames, 3M carbon fiber wrap and CofAs and voila - wall decor
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    991.2 GT3, Mexico Blue
    991.2 GTS, Carmine Red
    993 C4S, Stone Grey Metallic
    2017 Macan GTS, White
    Past - 997.2 Turbo, Meteor Grey

Quote Originally Posted by KMR 968 Turbo View Post
    A three cylinder? Nice. Channeling your inner Pontiac Firefly I see. Haha
    Too bad I couldn't pony up for a Firefly Turbo. Always coveted those.

A friend had the convertible model. Truth be known, the engine was the best part of that car. Some of the cheapest plastics in the automobile industry.