Sunday June 28 Drive - Columbia Icefields

KevinJ

There is something about trying to plan a drive to the Icefields that brings poor weather. This is the third year I've had this tour out to the Columbia Icefields Centre on the schedule and the weather has not cooperated. However this year I am going rain or shine.

8:15 AM We will meet at the Starbucks parking lot in the Royal Oaks Shopping Centre - 8750 Country Hills Blvd NW. Please arrive with a full tank of gas.

8:30 AM Depart for our first stop Between Exshaw and Canmore via 1A. At Canmore we will take the TransCanada to the junction of Hwy 93 just pst Lake Louise. Then Hwy 93 North. Paving is underway on 1A in Banff Park so we will avoid it.

Planned stops

Grotto Trailhead parking Lot (washroom)

Castle Mountain Chalets (washroom)

Herbert Lake Parking Lot (washroom)

Mıstaya Canyon Pull Off (Short walk to see the Canyon and water falls) (washroom)

Saskatchewan River Crossing Gas Station (optional) If folks need gas we will stop here on the way to or from the Icefields Centre.

Big Bend Pull Off (gravel lot)

Columbia Icefields Centre - ETA between noon and 1 PM (washroom)

Lunch - Bring a picnic lunch to eat while we tour the Icefields Centre. There is also a cafeteria - it should be open.

Return on your own or travel with me on the way back. If weather is good I will return to Calgary via Hwy's 11 and 22. If weather is poor will return via Hwy 93 and the Trans Canada.

Total time Calgary to Icefields and back to Calgary is 9 hours to 10 hours. Bring beverages and snacks with you. Bring a camera as you never know what we'll see.

Kevin

403-470-8996 cell

Map for start of drive...

https://goo.gl/maps/aMh7uMCyT1M1VFvg7

Edited by KevinJ

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Thanks for putting this drive on. I am really looking forward to putting some miles on Outside my neighborhood. haha. Rain or shine the drive should be great.

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

we planned "trips" to the Icefields for Treffen ....you know the weather is not supportive when the tour buses booked were turning around!!!

Have a gr8 trip folks, were at the lake this weekend :)

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Might need to leave the roof up for this drive. Hahaha. Will be a good test for the new tires.

Rob Campbell

We're still going folks. We will likely have to make some choices as we progress. See you in the morning.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Here are a few pictures from the drive to the Columbia Ice Fields. Thanks again to Keven for getting this drive organized.

West into Cochrane.jpg

Heading West into Cochrane. The rain was coming down fairly hard.

Rest Stop 1.jpg

Our first stop near Exshaw. Just a slight drizzle.

Lunch Stop.jpg

Beautiful lunch stop next to a raging river. It was amazing to see the power of water and time. 3 of the cars headed back to Calgary. 3 cars carried on.

The Gap.jpg

Looking back over the gap on the way up the mountain almost to the Ice Fields. This is where my son and I carried on alone.

Ice Field.jpg

Made it to the Ice Fields visitor center. The weather was great. We had a snack while we waited for the Skywalk Tour bus.

Skywalk.jpg

Here is my son standing on the glass floor Skywalk. 918 feet to the canyon floor. for comparison, the Calgary Tower glass floor is only a measly 525 feet to the street below.

Canmore for Dinner.jpg

We made it to Canmore around 7 pm and had a great dinner at the Grizzly Paw Pub. After eating we headed back to Calgary and got home around 9:30 pm. My fuel light came on as we got into Calgary. If anyone says a 911 is hard on fuel they are very wrong. 630 km on a tank and averaged 9L/100 on the trip.

Rob Campbell