Two new infotainment systems for Porsche classic cars

KevinJ

Two new infotainment systems for Porsche classic cars

In the style of the times: Porsche Classic Communication Management

Toronto, ON. Modern connectivity for timeless classic cars: the new Porsche Classic Communication Management (PCCM) opens up the digital world to the brand's vintage and young classic cars. It is a further development of the previous radio navigation systems for classic Porsche sports cars. There are two variants available – PCCM and PCCM Plus - to replace the original built-in units with 1-DIN or 2-DIN dimensions. Both infotainment systems offer a high-resolution touchscreen and modern functions such as Apple CarPlay®, GOOGLE® Android Auto (PCCM Plus) as well as onboard navigation. The PCCM Plus operates with eight integrated buttons whereas the PCCM operates with six buttons. Both variants operate with two rotary knobs and a touch-sensitive 3.5-inch display (PCCM) and 7-inch display (PCCM Plus). It includes navigation function with “Point of Interest” search in an enhanced version, and route guidance optionally takes place as a simple arrow representation in a 2D or 3D view.

State-of-the-art digital technology: SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio, Apple CarPlay®, GOOGLE® Android Auto, Bluetooth®

A further highlight for these devices is integration of Apple CarPlay®. For the first time, all users of an Apple iPhone as from version 5 can now also use their iPhone apps for media playback, navigation and phone calls while driving. Media playback is possible via an SD card, USB, AUX and Bluetooth® as well. The PCCM blends harmoniously into the dashboard of Porsche classic cars thanks to the black surface finish and the shape of the knobs. It features the Porsche logo and is suitable for the sports car generations between the first 911 models of the 1960s and the last 911 with air cooling from the start of the 1990s (993 model series). Use in earlier front- and mid-engine models is also possible. In addition, the new PCCM Plus version is also compatible with GOOGLE® Android Auto™ and benefit from its functionalities.

PCCM Plus: modern successor of the first-generation Porsche Communication Management (PCM)

For 911 models of the 996 generation and Boxster models of the 986 generation which were built in the 1990s with 2-DIN optional PCM equipment would benefit from the newly developed PCCM Plus system, which features high-resolution 7-inch touchscreen with optimized display. The haptic and visual design of the PCCM Plus is based on the adjacent components such as air vents or pushbutton switches. The PCCM Plus can thus be integrated seamlessly into the ambience of the classic sports cars. The peripheral components already installed in the vehicle such as amplifier, loudspeakers or antenna can still be used. The navigation displays in the instrument cluster are also still supported.

Operation via touchscreen according to current standard

Operation via the touchscreen and buttons takes place largely in accordance with the intuitive high standard usual in Porsche vehicles today. This means that the latest onboard navigation system with Porsche-specific Points of Interest (POI) is also available to the driver. Route guidance takes place in a 2D or 3D view. The corresponding map data and later updates is provided via a separate SD card which can also be ordered from a Porsche Centre in the same way as for the PCCM or PCCM Plus.

Porsche Classic is responsible for spare parts supply and factory restorations of all of the brand’s road-approved classic cars. This includes all aspects of care products and technical literature through to classic spare part supply and new editions of already discontinued spare parts. In order to increase the availability of this offering for vintage and young classic cars, the company is successively extending its international dealer and service network with the Porsche Classic Partner program. Porsche customers and prospects can find the complete range of products and services offered by Porsche Classic there. In this way, Porsche is therefore integrating maintenance and value retention of classic cars into an innovative service concept that closely links the tradition and innovation of Porsche.

About Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd.

Established in 2008, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd. (PCL) is the exclusive importer and distributor of the Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman, Taycan, Panamera, as well as Cayenne and Macan. Headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, since 2017, PCL employs a team of more than 50 in sales, aftersales, finance, marketing, retail development, and public relations. They, in turn, work to provide Porsche customers with a best-in-class experience in keeping with the brand's 70-year history of leadership in the advancement of vehicle performance, safety, and efficiency. In 2019, a Parts Distribution Centre opened its doors in Mississauga to service the countrywide network of 19 Porsche Centres. PCL is the dedicated subsidiary of Porsche AG, headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany. In 2019, Porsche sold an unprecedented 9,025 units in Canada, up 1.4% over the prior year.

At the core of this success is Porsche's proud racing heritage that boasts some 30,000-plus motorsport wins to date.

Follow us: twitter.com/PorscheCanada | facebook.com/Porsche | Instagram.com/PorscheCanada

For Porsche apps: https://www.porsche.com/usa/apps-and-entertainment/apps/

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info, Kevin. sorry for the delay in replying. I forgot that correspondence takes place behind the club firewall :( Having looked around, the Porsche PCCM will fit my Boxster. However, it is pricey at 2,200 plus instal. The 986 4 channel amp is not up to the task of providing quality sound so the local Porsche-Dealer-recommended shop (Mobile Solutions) suggests adding a new class d amp to the mix. While the PCCM would look great in the 986, it is not good value. So I have opted for a Sony head plus the new amp and perhaps a rear view camera. I am still looking at local car audio shops but Mobile Solutions is a contender.

Mobile Solutions is one of the best if not the best shop in Calgary for sound and radar installs. I've used them number of times and highly recommend them.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

+1 for MSC, upgraded my 987.1 stock head unit for a Pioneer unit, (I wanted Android). MSC recommended upgrading amp as well, but keeping OE BOSE speakers. Sound is amazing and no regrets following MSC's advice. Seamless install & they even customized some USB port locations for me...highly recommended.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. New member here. I had Mobile Solutions install a PCCM for my 1994 964.This was to replace an aftermarket eclipse cd player. I also upgraded my speakers to Blam relax line, and had a Match amplifier. The sounds is an incredible upgrade and allows blue tooth hands free operation from my iphone. Would highly recommend.

John

• 3 months later...

I will never have Sirius on another car after an update caused the radio to keep rebooting even when the car was off and drain the battery. Sirius basically said they didn’t believe me, Porsche was stumped and the only fix was to cancel the service and remove the option with PIWIS.

Never again

Bob James

06 Cayman S

2018 Macan GTS