Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In order to future proof for the next 10 years the city needs to have a grid that allows each home to have atleast 1000 times more power draw. That isn't going to happen without massive subsidies and massive rate hikes. Right now one new EV is capable of 40x. Another 10x increase with solid state or super capacitors and 2 EVs in the household is a massive jump.
    '05 CGT/'18 GT2RS

I've always lived by the bastardised Charles Darwin quote of "...it is not the strongest nor the fastest that survive, but the one that is the least resistant to change".

Having said that, the critical thinker in me agrees with points made by several of you, and while alternate energy sourcing is an ultimately desirable goal, the current insane charge to solely electric continues to baffle me.

Politicians globally are demonizing the very O&G industries that are directly and indirectly responsible for the vast majority of humanities greatest leaps forward. They collectively try to demonize and cripple an industry based on partisan reports generated by special interests.

Some people are rapturously hailing the success of Elon Musk without acknowledging that without government grants and tax breaks, that Tesla is a failed business model. Now others, Porsche included, are on the bandwagen, (German spelling) but is it to placate woke politicians, or to get on the green government gravy train? I suspect a bit of both.

As pointed out in previous replies, I too agree that an electric vehicle could have a spot in my garage, but I am trying to strongly resist the change from my preferred form of transportation...I wonder what Darwin would advise?

I thought I would try to see the other side, so last year I bought a used electric car. Without rewiring my house, it gets charged at 1Kwh, which means I pretty much have to plug in every chance I get.

When it is above +8c, this particular car has about 100km range. Plenty for running to town, but not enough to get to Kamloops from Merritt. Good thing I have a ICE backup.

Other than that, it?s just another car. Living in the middle of BC, I don?t see a compelling reason to own one, and at 1-2% of new car sales, neither does anyone else.

I think I saw somewhere that Ford builds more F150 in a year, than all electrics ever sold combined, but that might have been before the Tesla Model 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S
    2000 Boxster S
    2000 Carrera
    2010 Panamera 4S
    1989 928GT

We shouldn?t forget the purpose of electric is to be green. I see no more green in electric than I do in efficient ICE vehicles. I?ll shut up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never shut up Mike, (unless it's Mona saying it!)

And on that note, the next time someone uses the term "bio-fuels" as a form of "Green Energy", ask them what that really means...if they answer anything but "burning trees, plants or algae", they are not a credible source.
    Last edited by al k; 01-05-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cann View Post
    We shouldn?t forget the purpose of electric is to be green. I see no more green in electric than I do in efficient ICE vehicles. I?ll shut up now.

Classic greenwashing - all that matters is the virtue signalling, and not the actual environmental impact. Plus the opportunities it presents for wealth redistribution and government control over individual behaviour. I'll shut up now.
    Erik

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke
    2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

We are on the cusp of aforementioned rabbit hole.

The race to be first for solid state batteries is getting quite heated. Looks like the first will be Nio in Q4 2022.
    https://insideevs.com/news/465188/ni...atteries-2022/
    '05 CGT/'18 GT2RS