Area 27 Track Days - June 27 and 28 - Non PCA - Non WRR Event

KevinJ

August Group in Kelowna is having two back to back track days on June 27 and 28 at Area 27 in Oliver, BC.

https://www.augustgroup.ca/area-27-track-days/

I have signed up for both days as have a couple of folks I know.

Cost is $700 per for each day but if you sign up for both you get a discount. Lunch is included. Three run groups. Beginner, Intermediate , Advanced. Definitions are on the August group web site. Beginner group gets to follow a track instructor for multiple laps to learn technique and the track.

Last year they gave a welcome bag each day. One day was a hat, water bottle and cell phone charging battery. The next day was a hat, water bottle and a book.

Accommodation is still available at Spirit Ridge Resort. The Petro Canada located at the turn off to the resort has 94 Octane gas!

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of Wild Rose members out there.

Kevin J.

Edited by KevinJ

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Hi Paul:

I'm booked. Also booked a room at Spirit Ridge. Drive out Saturday. Return on the Tuesday. Pizza on the roof again!

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Hey guys,

I just registered for the June 28 track day. There were no rooms left at the resort, so I just booked a motel room in Oliver for a couple nights... it'll be a pretty quick trip for me - just need a simple spot to get a few winks.

This will be my first track day at Area 27, so any input on what to bring and track prep is appreciated.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Dion

'07 911 Turbo 6 speed

Black/Black, 98k kms

'09 Cayenne Turbo S Tiptronic

Lava Grey Metallic/Black, 155k kms

Dion:

Glad you will be joining us.

Drive Highway 3. Its only a 30 minutes longer drive normally but better scenery and fun roads. Less 18 wheelers and so on. With the construction work on the TC near Golden and the detour to Radium, Highway 3 is likely faster now.

Watch a few Youtube video of folks driving the course. This one is of a GT3 driven by an Area 27 instructor. Will help you line the track and the proper line. https://youtu.be/EhW2L-7e6oY

Have your brake fluid changed with a power bleeder before going the track and make sure you have brake pad and rotor life left. I upgrade the brake fluid to Brembo LCF 600. Tunerwork sells it for about $38 with tax. Check that your lug nuts are torqued to the correct specification - usually 94 foot pounds - check your manual for the number for your car. Remove all the loose things from the car - if you need some of these things for the drive to Oliver and back home - bring a plastic tote with a lid to store them at the track or your hotel room. I remove the mat in the drivers side foot well - you never know.

Bring a a good tire pressure gage. Gloves as most of us get damp palms when out lapping and the gloves will absorb the perspiration. Helmet of course. Make sure you have lots of tread life left. Fill up with 94 Octane in Oliver - Petro Canada or Chevron usually have it there. Bring a water bottle, sunscreen, light jacket and light rain coat just in case rain passes through. Unlikely but I did have one light rain day in the 6 days I've visited.

On the track concentrate on being smooth not your time. Jerking your Porsche can upset its balance. Last lap is cool down lap. At Area 27 they want you to maintain speed for the first half of the last lap, then slow. This slow period is important to help the engine cool properly after being under substained loading for a long period. Try not to use the break much for the cool down portion of the lap. I usually let the engine run for a minute or so when I get back in - also to help it cool.

See if you can be the passenger in a car from the faster more experienced group. It will help you learn the line and likely inspire you!

Don't plan on driving back to Calgary after your track day - track day is mentally and physically taxing. You'll get partway home and get into trouble.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Edited by KevinJ

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Watch out for turns 9 and 11 (they are blind) and to a lesser degree turn 13 later in the day once you've built up some speed.

'05 CGT/'14 Turbo/'18 GT2RS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone else joining us? Just checked and there are still a couple of spots left for the Porsche only day on June 28. Signup as the BC border is expected to open mid month.

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

I will be driving to Osoyoos on the 26. Likely leaving 6ish so I can get into the hotel in time to clean the car and then relax. Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

bulldog_yyc
For guys that are trailering, want to meet somewhere [early am on the 26th?] and drive out together? No obligation, just thought it would be more fun than the usual pull!

FYI: Today, I changed hotels from Spirit Ridge to the Coast in Oliver since a few track rats are staying there! Plus it save me good chunk of money.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

I'm not the most experienced person going to Area 27 but here is my packing list in case anyone is wondering what to bring. August Motorsports is proving lunch and drinks. Usually they have coffee and pastries if you get there on time. Best to eat breakfast though.

Track Day Packing List

• Remove floor mats.
  • Helmet.
  • Driving shoes.
  • Driving gloves or mechanic gloves or even bike gloves. If its a warm day you will appreciate the gloves as they soak up sweaty palms.
  • Hat.
  • Sunscreen.
  • Water bottle with ice cold water. Put your water bottle 90% full in a freezer over night. A couple of snacks in case of fatigue.
  • Torque wrench for wheel lug nuts checking.
  • Tire gauge.
  • Small assortment of tools, flashlight
  • Extra brakepads, especially if existing pads are approaching 50%
  • Air pump. Easy to add a couple of pounds of air, and easy to transport. At the end of the day the tires will be track hot. Dump a couple of psi to get to your cars normal hot temps for the drive home. If staying after to socialize or overnight you will likely need to add a bit of air once the tires have cooled to get back to your proper cold tire psi.
  • A folding chair if you like to sit.
  • Workgloves and or some hand cleaner and a rag. Consider disposable latex gloves.
  • Camera, so you can brag when you get home.
  • Extra brake fluid. May be necessary to bleed them at the event, if multiple days.
  • Glass cleaner and paper-towels to clean windshield.
  • Extra engine oil
  • Bring gloves. (can contribute to marital harmony if you work on your Porsche at home)
  • Bring or purchase food/drinks. You get dehydrated faster than you think.
  • log book and pencil (pens can leak on hot days)
  • Plastic /waterproof bin to leave by your car with all the loose things from your car. Better yet, leave a much as you can at home.
  • Clothing suitable to the weather forecast.
  • Camera.
  • Camera mount

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5