Rocky Mountain Motorsports Track Tour

Rocky Mountain Motorsports has set up a private tour of the Rocky Mountain Motorsports Track so you can see firsthand the progress being made to date. This is not a sanctioned club event so please send an rsvp email to: porsche997yyc@shaw.ca

I must submit a list of attendees on Friday so please reply by email by noon on Friday, April 16th.

IT HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED (AGAIN) FOR SATURDAY, APRIL 17th @ 10am!!!!

Below is a plan for the RMM Tour.

They are going to keep groups to a max of 10 people and will be able to accommodate a total of 40. They will have 4 RMM Team members there to lead the groups around.

Meet at the construction offices on top of corner 13. There will be a RMM person directing traffic and collecting contact information at the Gas Well that is indicated on the map (Meet Here).

The tour will start from the offices, everyone will be asked to drive in their own vehicles. We will depart from the offices in Groups of 10. We go to the top of the berm behind Turn 16 as the vantage point gives you a great perspective of the track.

They are starting to set the final grade on sections of the track so we will not be able to drive a lap of the track, but they have a plan to still give everyone a really good sense of the track. Once finished with the tour we will meet back at the construction trailers for a chance to ask some questions and provide feedback about the experience.

(Typically a 1-1.5 hour experience)

People should be aware that it is an active construction site and an SUV or truck will be the minimum ground clearance you will need for the tour.

Pictures are encouraged however please attempt to keep the PCA Tour guests out of the pictures and feel free to share on social media.

Directions to RMM:

Head North on Hwy 2 from Calgary (or South from Red Deer or Edmonton), take the exit ramp onto AB 581 (Carstairs Exit, 25 min North of YYC Airport) and head East, drive past the newly paved entrance to the RMM Facility and go to the freshly gravelled Range Road at the East side of the development (you will see a very large berm that runs parallel to the road). Follow that road to the end of the large berm you can see and turn right into a lease access road (you will be able to see the gas well when you turn). We will meet next to the gas well and move up to the construction office once signed in.

Here's a pdf of the map:

RMMmap.pdf

Edited by dragon
RESCHEDULED BACK TO SATURDAY

First off, I’d like to thank everyone who's already replied with quick rsvp’s.

There’s some not so good news but it comes with a silver lining!

I was on the phone earlier with the RMM track tour organizer & there was the proverbial scheduling dissonance between marketing & construction haha.

There is a full construction crew booked to work Saturday until mid afternoon so there will be far too much construction activity going on for us to be roaming around.

The silver lining is by rescheduling for the following day, Sunday, April 18th, we will be able to get an up-close look at all or almost all of the track’s corners.

(this also means Saturday is wide open so you can now feel free to spend the day with your Porsche sports car!)

I apologize if you cannot make the rescheduled date but do not fret as we plan to organize another tour or 2 before the track actually opens.

Yoon, As a member of RMM I did the tour last Saturday with another group and it is epic. Quite a bit different from driving around in a wintery farmers stubble field.

Most of the excavation is done meaning you get to see the full elevation change and a feel for banking etc. Totally different than trying to imagine the course looking at a piece of paper or on a screen.

I highly recommend taking this tour to all Wildrose members who are interested in driving this track at some point or getting a membership at the Rock.

You do require ground clearance out there so pickups or SUV's are mandatory.

Paul T

991.2 Turbo S

991.2 GT3

Thanks for the added insight Paul!

I just got confirmation that we will actually get to do an actual lap (albeit super slow in our suv/pickup's) on Sunday rather than just overlooking the track from numerous vantage points.

Hope everyone is doing well on this sunny day!

Didn’t realize this simple event would turn into a logistical circus but I guess it’s par for the current covid period of time haha.

I generally despise being remotely associated with what can be perceived as unorganized, unprofessional planning as that’s not how I operate my business or personal affairs but it is what it is. (ok, little rant over)

The construction crew has made the call to alter their work plans for the weekend because of Mother Nature.

If Mother Nature follows through with her intent to make it rain & snow, Sunday will be awash (literally)

With the elevation changes of the track, even most suv’s will struggle with traction if there’s a bit of water.

We’ve made the call to move the tour back to Saturday morning at 10am.

This will allow us to do a parade lap on the actual track as intended while staying nice & dry instead of spending most of Sunday trying to push & tow stuck vehicles out of the mud.

The Track Tour will take place SATURDAY, APRIL 17th @ 10am!!!!

I apologize for the flip-flopping back & forth but do not fret if you cannot make it as we plan to organize another tour or 2 before the track actually opens.

If you know anyone who was planning to attend but doesn’t check the club website or emails regularly, please touch base with them to let them know as well.

Thanks for sticking with getting this organized Yoon - I really enjoyed checking out the track while it's under construction. The pictures don't do it justice, but the scale and amount of earth that's been moved is really impressive and you're able to start getting a sense of the elevation changes and features of the track.

The first picture is overlooking the exit of turn #16 down the front "straight", the second is looking at the entrance to turn #16 with the exit of turn #14 and turn #15 leading up to it with turns #9, 10, & #11 in the background, and the third picture is from the entrance of turn #10 looking up at the turn #16 sound berm where the first two pictures were taken from.

20210417_100802.jpg

20210417_100758.jpg

20210417_104817.jpg

Edited by qwertyd10n

'07 911 Turbo 6 speed

Black/Black, 98k kms

'09 Cayenne Turbo S Tiptronic

Lava Grey Metallic/Black, 155k kms

Yoon:

Thanks for arranging this. Well worth the time to check on the progress and do our first lap! Sorry didn't use my stop watch so can't tell you much.

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

So many cool points of interest were mentioned during the presentation.

-GPS guided/automated blade control on the graders that are levelling the earth

-Camera systems will cover the entire course so most events will have automated flagging stations. (less corner workers needed)

-absolutely no crowning of the road on track which means no funny unloading/loading of the suspension if you inevitably miss an apex & drift to the outside

-turn 14 is off camber

-the highlighting of the subtle elevation changes that will load/unloading the chassis

-the massive sound berms which will mask numerous entry & exit points of the turns making them very exciting & challenging

Edited by dragon

It was super cool to ?drive the track?. Really looking forward to driving it for real!

30744a313caa9a669ecc34fa63da70b3.jpg

Straight between Turn 1 & 2; pit exit on the left.

0554b9756d2b554bbf030c7ae1248ee6.jpg

Entry into the banked Turn 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a difference 24 hours can make weather-wise!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their participation in yesterday’s track tour.

I truly hope that it was worth your time & you got something out of it.

For those who were unable to make it, we will try to plan another tour before track paving commences later this summer.

Lastly I wanted to see if any members were seriously considering a track membership.

If there is enough interest, we can consider contacting RMM about special member pricing for PCA members.

• 1 month later...
Mike Darlow
What a difference 24 hours can make weather-wise!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their participation in yesterday’s track tour.

I truly hope that it was worth your time & you got something out of it.

For those who were unable to make it, we will try to plan another tour before track paving commences later this summer.

Lastly I wanted to see if any members were seriously considering a track membership.

If there is enough interest, we can consider contacting RMM about special member pricing for PCA members.

Has there been any interest? Any updates?

Hi Everyone,

I had my third lap at a RMM members event this past Saturday. From what I saw and heard they are ready to pass the track over to Volker to commence ground prep for eventual paving later this summer. Final base grade is done everywhere but there is some material to be picked up here and there to complete excavation and cleanup. The road "base level" (what we drove on) is in some spots up to a meter below final grade meaning there is lots and lots of gravel to be brought in and packed. You can see by the furrows on the sides where final grade lies and how it affects banking and run out etc.

Most of the berms are complete and some that are already covered in loam will be hydro-seeded starting this week. All of the water drainage infrastructure is done however I think I heard that they have decided to add one more drain on the front straight. The pit-in and pit-out roads are in place and my understanding is the paddock will not be paved this year as they have had to put meters of fill in and it won't be compacted enough this year. Oh and by the way turns 1 and 13 will be epic and an honourable mention to 14.

Paul T

991.2 Turbo S

991.2 GT3

Mike Darlow
I missed the club meetings about this track. How many events (track days) a year do you think we will be able attend as a club? Just wondering if I should be looking at becoming a member or will the club have enough track days to cure the itch?

So I took some video on May 22 at RMM and this is the end result. For those of you that were at the Wildrose tour in April you will notice quite a difference. It took me 15.xxx minutes for this lap #3 but you can see a short 2 minute version here.

Hopefully my times improve later this year.

Paul T

991.2 Turbo S

991.2 GT3