17 mm Hex key

Alex

Hi to all members eagerly awaiting the start of the 2011 driving season!

Does anybody know where in Calgary I can purchase a 17 mm Hex key from? As part of the servicing on my '80 911SC, I plan on changing the transmission gear oil but require the large key to remove both the drain and refill plugs.

Thanks!

Alex

1980 911SC Targa

2006 997 C4S Coupe

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Alex, check with

Calgary Fasteners

Bolt Supply House

Foot Hills Industrial Fasteners

I bought a set of metric Allan sockets at Princess Auto.

Fritz

Thanks guys!....Oh, and while I've got your attention, which gear oil did you use? Looking through the Bentley 911SC workshop manual, it seems Porsche does not recommend synthethics for the fluid replacement, but all I have seen are synthetics or semi-synthetics.....

Hey Rick, I couldnt see myself parting with that red beauty 993 of yours either....she's a keeper!......that is...........................unless you want to trade with my 911SC?........I know!...............just checking!

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Hi again Alex

The most common gear oil used (and recommended by Porsche) for Porsche transmissions is called Swepco.

When I replaced the oil in my transmission I used a full synthetic called Royal Purple. It smoothed the shift action slightly and has performed well. I've had it in the car for over a year now.

As long as you pay attention to the recommended viscosity you can't really get into trouble.

The owners manual calls for 75W90.

cheers!

Rick

Keith Adams
Swepco seems to be made from juiced leprechauns for how expensive and hard to locate it is. I use Redline synthetics which are available (in best variety) at Mopac on 16th ave - they also carry Royal Purple.