Just picked up:

IMG_1855.2.jpg

After reconditioning:

IMG_1859.2.jpg

What I had before:

IMG_1862.2.jpg

While your in there anyway:

IMG_1864.2.jpg

As the new seats are electric and thus heavier than the old ones and new seats do not make the car go faster, I decided to take out the back seats to hopefully realize a net gain of 0:rolleyes:. After removing, realized they weigh next to nothing, so more has to come out! Was starting to remove rear seat belts (undoing the bolts), when a flash of panic came over me. As a mechanical novice and definitley no Porsche expert yet fully realizing that Porsche does things differently, do these bolts hold anything underneath the car up? the last thing I want is to remove them then realize they attach to the transmission or something:o. Any advice would be good. Next will be the speakers, radio, carpet.............it will never end:cool:

As a side note for those of you who are wondering just how much a 30 year old car collects underneath the carpets: found money, gum, leaves, bugs, nuts, bolts (they dont fit together), wood screws of various sizes, but no RUST:). And I thought I cleaned well in the fall!!

Paul

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

Hi Paul

Looks like your purchase today was a good one. After a little TLC, your new seats look ... new!

Mounting hardware for the seats serves just one purpose .... to hold the seats (and you) in place. Pretty confident nothing will fall off the bottom of your SC after you install the new ones.

Look forward to seeing both yours and Franks' cars back on the road once the latest +25 cm of snow leaves us.

I didn't do any work on my 3.2 today, but will install new door pocket hardware, driving light lens and several other cosmetic upgrades over the next few weeks. Currently waiting on parts shipment from Pelican. :confused:

Talk with you later.

Rick

Edited by Rick

Paul, to shave off additional weight, may I suggest removing A/C compressor, hoses, mounting brackets, etc.......who needs A/C in Calgary anyway!.....open a window!.....take off the Targa top!

I never did get my system updated since I bought the car 20 years ago and so I decided to remove it all.....now, tons more space in the engine compartment, and right side spark plugs, oil filter, etc are now way easier to access. A word of caution however if you want to do this, if your A/C system still works and has the refrigerant pressurized, you'll have to get a professional to depressurize your A/C system and dispose of the refrigerant!

Just a thought!.....nice seats!

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Thanks Guys,

Rick, glad to hear you had a "day off"! Was concerned about the rear seat belts. After a bit of research (and common sense) i realized that they are there for one purpose only, so that shaves a pound or two.

Alex, AC compressor and all hardware was removed two days after purchasing car. I agree that with a Targa, AC is unecessary weight for little comfort. Think i might need to revert back to my idea from last year and start looking (again) for a fibreglass Ducktail as the current tail weighs a ton. Don't get me wrong, I am definitly not rying to make a light weight racer, but at the same time I also want to keep the engine as stock as possible (just a quirk of mine I guess).

Thanks for the advise Rick and Alex. I will be signing off as drinking wine and typing don't mix:)

Paul

Paul, I hope you didn't recondition your seats in the kitchen (I'm not exactly sure where the photo was taken but it sure is not the garage) ?!?......that's as bad as me using the dishwasher to clean the valve covers!

The seats look good....just curious, how much is he asking for the black 993 seats?

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Wow Paul! Those cleaned up nicely..............and what's this..............one seat removed and not a single phone call for help to me, I am impressed!

Let me know when you want to run some wires for the seats. Should have everything we need to do so!

Frank

Alex,

Not quite the kitchen, but got an ear full anyway!! Not sure how much he wants for the 993 seats. if you are interested let me know and I will PM you his number.

Frank,

the phone calls will come with installation, don't you worry.

All,

Would a bolt-in roll bar add stiffness to a targa? Would like to reduce some of the flexing and not sure if this would do it or not.

Paul