Oil level line in camshaft housing / scavenger pump installation

Alex

A couple of questions for Porsche "experts".....would any of our members know, off-hand, what the approximate oil level line is in the camshaft housings, assuming the car's oil level is near full?...specifically the left camshaft housing on a 3.0L SC engine? I have an older Rajay turbo installed on my 1980 911SC Targa and the turbo drain line is tapped into the lower right side of the left side camshaft housing cover. From my research, I have found that to properly gravity drain a turbo oil drain line, it must be tapped in above the oil level line, otherwise, a scavenger pump is required. I could post an actual photo of the install if needed.

Secondly, I was wondering if any of our members has had any experience in installing a turbocharger scavenger pump assembly on an older 911 like mine?

p.s. From the posted photos, the trip to Whitefish looked like it was just a great time!......one of these years, maybe I'll get to go......sigh!!!!

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Great news! With the help of the Pelican Parts "911/930 Turbocharging & Supercharging" forum, I was able to get in touch with IAMCHAPPY, who is an expert in 3.0L SC turbocharging. He supplied me with a PDF of the original BAE Systems Turbocharger Kit Installation Manual, which was published back in the early 80's and deals with exactly the same set-up that my '80 SC has....unreal!....after all these years! Anyway, if anybody has the same set-up on their 911 or is just interested in learning more about turbocharging earlier 911s, I can pass it on.

Cheers!

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic