US Formula 1 race, Austin TX, June 17 2012

algibson

Some of you know this already: The first US Formula 1 race (in many years) will be at the new track in Austin, Texas on June 17 of 2012. It's never too early to start planning!

Are any other members interested in going to the race?

I'm not keen/crazy enough to drive. I've been in Texas in June and it's no fun. 6 days driving for a 3-day event is a bit unbalanced. I would be looking at flying. I did a quick check and flights are available in the $600 range (return) with options depending on airline and where you want to change planes.

There are a few outfits that offer tour packages to the races - hotels plus event tickets. I didn't look into those yet.

Al Gibson

Calgary

• 1 month later...
More reports surfaced today that the date of Austin’s 2012 Formula One race could change to November.

In June, the World Motorsport Council set a provisional race date of June 17, 2012. But last month, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone reportedly circulated a new calendar that moved the Austin date to November.

Ecclestone told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport in a story published Tuesday that the new date was chosen because of the cooler temperatures in November.

“We have, for example, moved Austin to November because it’s 40 degrees (Celsius) there in summer. We did not want to repeat the experience of Dallas,” he said, referring to the 1984 race that was held under brutally hot conditions. He also told the newspaper that the calendar published in June by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile was a draft.

But despite the reports, any race date will have to be finalized by the World Motorsport Council, a powerful arm of the FIA, the international governing body of motor sports. A final date is not expected until later this year.

The source was here... http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/racing/index.html

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

November sounds better to me. The hurricane season is over and the weather here in Calgary says go south at that time of the year. November would make it one of the last races of the season which could be good or could be bad depending on the year. Let keep our fingers crossed for the change.

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the updated 2012 schedule a few days ago. The Austin race is now listed for Nov 18th, second last, before Brazil. I still wouldn't drive down there -- don't want to take the extra days for travel time, and the roads could be a problem at this end.

Al.