The “LIST” for the past 2 years.

-rebuilt all brake callipers

-replace all rubber brake lines

-all new pads

-redo/replace all EFI fuel lines

-add surge tank for EFI

-add low pressure fuel pump to feed surge tank

-retune EFI

Hit deer 4 hours into much anticipated, just my wife and I, 2 week road trip.

Now the other “LIST

-new metal piece that holds the trunk seal

-new front end of inner fenders both sides

-1 new (to me) H1

-1 new paintable headlight ring

-2 new front signal boxes and lenses

-2 new front fenders (metal)

-2 new inner fender supports

-2 new rockers

-2 new rocker supports

-extra reinforcement between rocker support, jack point and inner rocker. This does the same as the extra bar that you can add in the interior.

-2 new door lock jambs

-2 new door skins

-2 new front section of rear quarters

-The car did not have a lot of rust but I was not going to do a patch to a patch. I will not have any surprises in the future.

-replace door cards and recover in leather

-reshape door pockets and recover in leather

-recover dash in leather

-replace AC vents with period correct (factory?)ones

-new carpet

-all new rubber seals including the ones on the Targa roof

-new head unit

-new speakers

-add electric heat to the seats (you know the saying – a happy wife a happy life)

-replace flapper boxes

-add fuse link to instrument light circuit (I’m not lucky with fire)

-new master cylinder (You would think it would last longer than 38 years)

-new headlight switch

-new suspension bushings front and rear

-new Koni shocks

-new Turbo tie rods

-drill and tap all sway bar bushings to allow for grease

-head light relays

-plus a million other little things that happen along the way

WOW - that's impressive and she's looking awesome! Nice work.

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest barryr

New head unit and lower dash back on. Freshly restored ashtray. If you look in the picture the ashtray padding is nice and dark. It was grayish like the wiper stock that I haven't cleaned up yet. Vaseline, it’s not just for audits!

lowerdash.jpg

Guest barryr

Slow progress tonight. Myself and my brother in law spent a solid 3 hours just putting on the new targa glass seal and feeding the defroster wires back into the engine compartment. So far this has been one of the most effort for the least return jobs.

Barry

Edited by barryr
Guest barryr

Targa Glass in! It only took us about an hour or so to actually get the glass in. Rear window defroster wires reconnected. It is really starting to look like a car again. The paint is just killer, even though it is covered in dust and corn starch just look at the reflections in the side panel.

Barry

glass.jpg

Edited by barryr
  • 3 weeks later...

Over the long weekend I managed to get a little more done. Sealed some seams, got rust proofing in the hidden areas, re-attached some carpet that was not smooth, finished putting the back seats and rear interior in. Also you may notice the front seats as well. After I put the front seats in I reconnected the ECU again and just sat in the garage and "warmed it up" for about 15 minutes. It felt good after not driving it for about a year ( you know what I mean);)

interior.jpg

Edited by barryr
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest barryr

Well we've been off vacationing with friends from AUS for the past month or so. We were in Vancouver, Alaska, mid west to central states, out to MT. Rushmore, Kenora Ont. and then back to Regina. We put about 10,000Km on the ML.

But, I did manage to make some progress this past weekend. My goal was to drive it this past Sunday which I managed to do. I had to hold the doors closed with bungee cords but it still counts!

front.jpg

Guest barryr

Yes Danielle it was a very beautiful scenic drive. For most of the drive I would have preferred to be in my 911 (except 4 plus luggage doesn’t fit). There were also many hours on the interstates with the cruise set at 130km. This is where I was happy to be in the ML. It is very quiet and more importantly has cruise, my 911 does not.

BTY the absolute worst, most boring, mind numbing part of the drive was the drive from Regina to Calgary.

Barry

Door handles, stays and door jamb catches mounted. Doors, fenders and trunk gaps all adjusted. Move this, move that, move this again, repeat. I think everything is even and straight now. To my (unbiased:)) eye my endles hours ( with some help from my brother in law, thanks again Del) of welding, adjusting and sanding have paid off.

pass.jpg

Edited by barryr
  • 2 weeks later...

Well semi productive weekend and Murphy of course, showed up :(.

When you have an older 911, with the original rubber suspension bushings, 205-60-15" pilots on 7" rims just fit. After you replace the bushings they don't! I gave the car a basic wheel alignment so all wheels now point in the same direction and are perpendicular, but the rear tires just rub. I am getting one of my tires mounted onto an old 6" rim which should resolve the problem. Here's hoping.

All of the signal lights are now in and both bumpers are mounted. This week I plan to get all of the guts back into the doors and if I can get the garage warm enough, glue in the remaining weather proofing seals.

Barry