Join Today

View Poll Results: Manual vs PDK vs Automatic Transmission?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manual

15 41.67%
  • PDK

20 55.56%
  • Automatic (Tiptronic)

1 2.78%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ok.........1st is to the left and down with reverse being left and up then it s an H pattern 2,3 4 and 5th
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed
    Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic
    Nordic Gold/Black, +250k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Red/Champange, 110k miles (US car)

In June my wife and I were privileged to romp through the German county side around Nurburg in a new Cayman GT4. The standard transmission definitely put a huge smile on our faces. We are old school drivers so we are biased. In comparison my wife drove a Carrera S and a Cayman S with PDK on road tours. She didn't share so you will have to ask her for a comparison.Name:  Happy GT4 Driver.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  128.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kkersch View Post
    In June my wife and I were privileged to romp through the German county side around Nurburg in a new Cayman GT4. The standard transmission definitely put a huge smile on our faces. We are old school drivers so we are biased. In comparison my wife drove a Carrera S and a Cayman S with PDK on road tours. She didn't share so you will have to ask her for a comparison.Name:  Happy GT4 Driver.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  128.2 KB
    Super jealous....did you get to drive the "ring"?

I am in the process of purchasing a used 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S that is a PDK car from the Edmonton dealer. When I test drove the car last week I absolutely hated the buttons on the stock PDK steering wheel and while being able to manually shift with the stick shift was a slight improvement, it was the opposite of how a sequential shifter works. With sequential shifters you pull to upshift and push to downshift and this 997 PDK car was the exact opposite of how a sequential shifter works and that messed me up though yes you would eventually get used to it (but I did not want to get used to it).

So when we got back after the test drive, of course the salesman wanted the sale and of course the high pressure sales techniques kicked in, but I basically held my ground and said "I cannot/will not buy this car the way it is, I hate the PDK". We talked about how I would still be very much interested in manual 997.2 3.8L C2S cars, but the problem is is that there really aren't a whole lot of manual 997.2 C2S if any on the market right now in Canada, and maybe only a few in the USA. But then I raised paddle shifters and said "If you can turn this car into a paddle shifter car, then perhaps I will be interested". Well the salesman runs off and a while later he returns with the news that yes they will throw the paddle shifters in as part of the sale. Only problem is is that I will need to wait a while for the new steering wheel to be shipped to me. But sometime in the not too distant future I will be driving a used 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S with PDK and the paddle shifters and this is going to radically transform this car into a great track car.

Now it still remains to be seen if when I finally do get to track the car if I will even use the paddle shifters or if I will just put the car into automatic and just concentrate on hitting the apexes. But at home I have a dedicated virtual reality sim racing rig running iRacing and PCars2 and with it I am always left foot braking and shifting gears with paddle shifters and it is the best way to get around a track. Manual shifter is super fun, super engaging and for sure the preferred way to drive on the public roads (not counting traffic jams), but on a race track paddle shifters are dope.
    Last edited by stevea; 06-22-2018 at 11:21 AM.

If I want to go the quickest, I put my Cayman into Sport+ auto and concentrate on my driving. If I want to go fast in my Golf R, I shift with the paddles in manual mode to keep the turbo under boost. If I just want the pure driving experience, I drop the top in my manual trans Boxster and hit the road. The best of all worlds!
    Perci

PCA DE Instructor
    2014 Cayman S
    2000 Boxster S

you only have to look at the fastest race cars; F1 cars shift w/auto paddles.
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed
    Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic
    Nordic Gold/Black, +250k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Red/Champange, 110k miles (US car)