Manual versus PDK

Perci

Manual vs PDK vs Automatic Transmission?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Manual vs PDK vs Automatic Transmission?

• Manual
    • PDK
    • Automatic (Tiptronic)

I just finished reading the second part of the article in this month's Panorama. I would have thought that more people would be in favour of the PDK. What do you think? If you could have any transmission you wanted in your Porsche, what would you buy?

I've never driven a car with PDK so I can't pick it, and I've never met a Auto trans that I liked.

Edited by Perci

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

I once broke a car trying to learn manual. Sorry old Mr. BMW

With that said, I don't have the coordination required to figure out manual.

PDK all the way.

KMR 968 Turbo
If I were to replace my 996TT with a 997TT it would have the PDK transmission. I watched a video of a 997TT with PDK accelerating and I can't come close to the performance of that machine driving a standard gearbox. I am told the PDK is uncanney at knowing what gear you want to be in - even when driving at the track.
  • 1 month later...
Yes, the PDK is a fantastic transmission, I love it. It's really the computer that makes it all work, & that's the most amazing part of all. It's like the Porsche designers got the mind of a professional driver programmed into the computer.
Call me crazy but I would choose a manual. I feel much more involved driving a manual. All the new cars are insanely fast so the 0-60 time does not concern me to much. Now if only they could move the clutch back to the floor where it belongs!!

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

• 1 year later...
I love the manual transmission in my 997-series 911, but if I were to buy a new one I'd go with PDK. The loss of full feedback from manual shifts is offset by the faster shifting and overall quicker car that is presented when you have PDK. The new 991 and the Turbos are so fast now that you can't keep up to PDK no matter how fast your hands and feet are. I would point to the new 991 GT3 as a perfect example of how it's the wave of the future, like it or not. So I think the manual-shift 50th Anniversary Edition is going to hold it's value as one of the last collector 911's before PDK takes over.
05 911 C2S (997.1) in black with PCCB
  • 1 year later...
I drive a 997 model 911 manual and I like the sheer thrill of revving up and changing but I would change to PDK on my next one. I can be very swift with shifting but cannot match an automatic....I don't think anybody can... and for that reason alone I would choose a PDK.
  • 1 month later...
Nostrathomas

I guess I can understand the reason of buying a PDK because you can’t drive a manual, or because you sit in traffic all day, but I just don't get the reason that you should get a PDK “because it shifts faster”.

Because, well, unless you're racing at a truly competitive level, it's kind of irrelevant to 99% of us. Does it really matter if your shifts are 0.2 seconds long or 0.5 seconds long? Is going 1% faster around that track (which most of never do anyway) worth being more disconnected from your car? I personally don’t think so.

The only statistic I care about with my Porsche is the Fun factor. I'm not Walter Rohl 2.0 and never will be. Max speed? Who cares. Shifting speed? Who cares. Beautiful lines, loud noises, connecting with a machine? Sign me up.

I prefer the manual because it lets me connect with the car and just makes the whole damn experience more fun. That’s the only thing I care about. Cars today are so teched-up, that all the soul is slowly sucked out of them with every new thing that makes them a little faster or a little more efficient.

If I want to check out and let the computer to do all the work for me, I’ll drive my wife’s Volvo!

1990 964 C2 - Guards Red

2007 Cayman - Guards Red (former)

I'm with Nost on the fun factor, but I guess it depends on the car. I couldn't imagine my grocery getter Cayenne turbo with a manual transmission, but when I buy a 911 manual is a must...even if you sit in traffic all day. Now the big question is where does the Panamera fall..grocery getter family car or sports car..I say the former so automatic it would be. I also don't think PDK gets its own category of transmission as I believe its still based on automatic principles, so maybe a sub category under automatic.

IMHO a manual transmission takes some skill to be driven properly and fast........anyone can drive an auto/triptronic/PDK.

The Cayenne is a fantastic vehicle for all round duty but doesnt have the same 'fun' factor as my sports car.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Nostrathomas
I'm with Nost on the fun factor, but I guess it depends on the car. I couldn't imagine my grocery getter Cayenne turbo with a manual transmission, but when I buy a 911 manual is a must...even if you sit in traffic all day. Now the big question is where does the Panamera fall..grocery getter family car or sports car..I say the former so automatic it would be. I also don't think PDK gets its own category of transmission as I believe its still based on automatic principles, so maybe a sub category under automatic.

Considering it's the car that I drive the most, I would actually prefer if even my grocery getter had a manual (unfortunately our Volvo is not). One of the funnest cars I've owned was a Mazda Protege 5 with a stick. It wasn't particularly fast, but because it had a manual, and it drove best when you were caning the crap out of it, it was a total hoot to drive. There are lots of fun moment driving around Calgary where you have time to get some great shifts in. Zipping around town in a small manual-tranny car is one of my favourite things to do. If I didn't have a need for more room, Id love to get an Abarth 500.

The only time I wouldn't get a manual is if I had to sit in Deerfoot rush-hour traffic every day (although in that case I might be suicidal no matter what I drove, ha).

1990 964 C2 - Guards Red

we are certainly fortunate to have the option of owning a daily driver and sports cars then pick and choose which tranny they have. :)

I remember owning a Fireball Pinto when futhering my education...........I drove the living hell out of it and ......it was an auto. Hope theres no pics out there.

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Nostrathomas
we are certainly fortunate to have the option of owning a daily driver and sports cars then pick and choose which tranny they have. :)

For the time being...its getting harder and harder to buy a car with a stick these days. No Ferrari's with sticks. No Mercs. BMW M cars are rumoured to be going Auto-only next generation. It's getting harder to get an Audi with one these days.

That's why it's important that we keep buying those manual Porsches! Or Mazdas, which seems like one of the few mass-market car companies that is still a fan of them.

1990 964 C2 - Guards Red

I'm with you guys, love an auto for daily cruiser but can't imagine it in my sports car. Having said that, I think there is an element of "getting used to it" involved. It feels very strange at first because it is different. I just don't know if eventually when you get used to it if you would love it completely or always in the back of your mind be thinking about being more directly in control of the vehicle.

Of course I do understand that the PDK is an amazing piece of engineering and offers the better outright performance. I just wonder if this is one of those areas where people can get caught up in the statistics and the confidence it would inspire for the occasional stop light blast vs. the overall enjoyment of the car and satisfaction from shifting exactly when you want and how you want on a much more regular basis. Maybe if you were purely a stop light warrior the choice is clear - but more debatable for other types of driving?

Just my thoughts.

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

My biggest issue with an auto is im bored... theres no thinking or respect for the engine or road condition....when the government mandates driverless cars in the near future i hope its long after im gone or ill revert back to motorcycles :) Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

I love the engagement that a manual brings to the driving experience. A bit too much engagement negotiating McLeod Tr traffic, but perfect for a sports car on a curvy road on a beautiful day... I have a lot of respect for PDK as a track tool - listening to the screaming engine noises while the PDK's shifted instantly was one of my highlight memories from the track day at Blackrock this spring.

That's why it's important that we keep buying those manual Porsches! Or Mazdas, which seems like one of the few mass-market car companies that is still a fan of them.

If you want to show your support for manuals when you're not buying or driving your car, this is the T-shirt for you... I heard there was someone in the club working on trying to source a PDK Rules shirt, but I have no link to share.

http://thecurbshop.com/collections/t-shirts/products/m-g-p-s-insignia-t-shirt

If you want to show your support for manuals when you're not buying or driving your car, this is the T-shirt for you... I heard there was someone in the club working on trying to source a PDK Rules shirt, but I have no link to share.

http://thecurbshop.com/collections/t-shirts/products/m-g-p-s-insignia-t-shirt

Nice shirt although reverse and 1st should be on the other side of the lever :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

ok.........1st is to the left and down with reverse being left and up then it s an H pattern 2,3 4 and 5th

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

• 2 months later...
In June my wife and I were privileged to romp through the German county side around Nurburg in a new Cayman GT4. The standard transmission definitely put a huge smile on our faces. We are old school drivers so we are biased. In comparison my wife drove a Carrera S and a Cayman S with PDK on road tours. She didn't share so you will have to ask her for a comparison.Happy GT4 Driver.jpg
KMR 968 Turbo
In June my wife and I were privileged to romp through the German county side around Nurburg in a new Cayman GT4. The standard transmission definitely put a huge smile on our faces. We are old school drivers so we are biased. In comparison my wife drove a Carrera S and a Cayman S with PDK on road tours. She didn't share so you will have to ask her for a comparison.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4210[/ATTACH]

Super jealous....did you get to drive the "ring"?

• 2 years later...

I am in the process of purchasing a used 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S that is a PDK car from the Edmonton dealer. When I test drove the car last week I absolutely hated the buttons on the stock PDK steering wheel and while being able to manually shift with the stick shift was a slight improvement, it was the opposite of how a sequential shifter works. With sequential shifters you pull to upshift and push to downshift and this 997 PDK car was the exact opposite of how a sequential shifter works and that messed me up though yes you would eventually get used to it (but I did not want to get used to it).

So when we got back after the test drive, of course the salesman wanted the sale and of course the high pressure sales techniques kicked in, but I basically held my ground and said "I cannot/will not buy this car the way it is, I hate the PDK". We talked about how I would still be very much interested in manual 997.2 3.8L C2S cars, but the problem is is that there really aren't a whole lot of manual 997.2 C2S if any on the market right now in Canada, and maybe only a few in the USA. But then I raised paddle shifters and said "If you can turn this car into a paddle shifter car, then perhaps I will be interested". Well the salesman runs off and a while later he returns with the news that yes they will throw the paddle shifters in as part of the sale. Only problem is is that I will need to wait a while for the new steering wheel to be shipped to me. But sometime in the not too distant future I will be driving a used 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S with PDK and the paddle shifters and this is going to radically transform this car into a great track car.

Now it still remains to be seen if when I finally do get to track the car if I will even use the paddle shifters or if I will just put the car into automatic and just concentrate on hitting the apexes. But at home I have a dedicated virtual reality sim racing rig running iRacing and PCars2 and with it I am always left foot braking and shifting gears with paddle shifters and it is the best way to get around a track. Manual shifter is super fun, super engaging and for sure the preferred way to drive on the public roads (not counting traffic jams), but on a race track paddle shifters are dope. :D

Edited by stevea
  • 5 months later...
If I want to go the quickest, I put my Cayman into Sport+ auto and concentrate on my driving. If I want to go fast in my Golf R, I shift with the paddles in manual mode to keep the turbo under boost. If I just want the pure driving experience, I drop the top in my manual trans Boxster and hit the road. The best of all worlds! :D

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT