Join Today

View Poll Results: Manual vs PDK vs Automatic Transmission?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manual

17 42.50%
  • PDK

22 55.00%
  • Automatic (Tiptronic)

1 2.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IMHO a manual transmission takes some skill to be driven properly and fast........anyone can drive an auto/triptronic/PDK.

The Cayenne is a fantastic vehicle for all round duty but doesnt have the same 'fun' factor as my sports car.
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed
    Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic
    Nordic Gold/Black, +270k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Red/Champange, 110k miles (US car)

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidoff View Post
    I'm with Nost on the fun factor, but I guess it depends on the car. I couldn't imagine my grocery getter Cayenne turbo with a manual transmission, but when I buy a 911 manual is a must...even if you sit in traffic all day. Now the big question is where does the Panamera fall..grocery getter family car or sports car..I say the former so automatic it would be. I also don't think PDK gets its own category of transmission as I believe its still based on automatic principles, so maybe a sub category under automatic.
    Considering it's the car that I drive the most, I would actually prefer if even my grocery getter had a manual (unfortunately our Volvo is not). One of the funnest cars I've owned was a Mazda Protege 5 with a stick. It wasn't particularly fast, but because it had a manual, and it drove best when you were caning the crap out of it, it was a total hoot to drive. There are lots of fun moment driving around Calgary where you have time to get some great shifts in. Zipping around town in a small manual-tranny car is one of my favourite things to do. If I didn't have a need for more room, Id love to get an Abarth 500.

The only time I wouldn't get a manual is if I had to sit in Deerfoot rush-hour traffic every day (although in that case I might be suicidal no matter what I drove, ha).

we are certainly fortunate to have the option of owning a daily driver and sports cars then pick and choose which tranny they have.

I remember owning a Fireball Pinto when futhering my education...........I drove the living hell out of it and ......it was an auto. Hope theres no pics out there.
    Last edited by malcolm; 07-16-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    we are certainly fortunate to have the option of owning a daily driver and sports cars then pick and choose which tranny they have.
    For the time being...its getting harder and harder to buy a car with a stick these days. No Ferrari's with sticks. No Mercs. BMW M cars are rumoured to be going Auto-only next generation. It's getting harder to get an Audi with one these days.

That's why it's important that we keep buying those manual Porsches! Or Mazdas, which seems like one of the few mass-market car companies that is still a fan of them.

I'm with you guys, love an auto for daily cruiser but can't imagine it in my sports car. Having said that, I think there is an element of "getting used to it" involved. It feels very strange at first because it is different. I just don't know if eventually when you get used to it if you would love it completely or always in the back of your mind be thinking about being more directly in control of the vehicle.

Of course I do understand that the PDK is an amazing piece of engineering and offers the better outright performance. I just wonder if this is one of those areas where people can get caught up in the statistics and the confidence it would inspire for the occasional stop light blast vs. the overall enjoyment of the car and satisfaction from shifting exactly when you want and how you want on a much more regular basis. Maybe if you were purely a stop light warrior the choice is clear - but more debatable for other types of driving?

Just my thoughts.
    Jim

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements
    07 black/black 911 Turbo - EVOMS, Techart, HRE P43SC wheels
    91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - Getting more stock every day

My biggest issue with an auto is im bored... theres no thinking or respect for the engine or road condition....when the government mandates driverless cars in the near future i hope its long after im gone or ill revert back to motorcycles
    Last edited by malcolm; 07-17-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

I love the engagement that a manual brings to the driving experience. A bit too much engagement negotiating McLeod Tr traffic, but perfect for a sports car on a curvy road on a beautiful day... I have a lot of respect for PDK as a track tool - listening to the screaming engine noises while the PDK's shifted instantly was one of my highlight memories from the track day at Blackrock this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrathomas View Post
    That's why it's important that we keep buying those manual Porsches! Or Mazdas, which seems like one of the few mass-market car companies that is still a fan of them.
    If you want to show your support for manuals when you're not buying or driving your car, this is the T-shirt for you... I heard there was someone in the club working on trying to source a PDK Rules shirt, but I have no link to share.

http://thecurbshop.com/collections/t...signia-t-shirt

OR you can go this way to show your support
    http://www.shophunziker.com/item_214...L--Natural.htm

Quote Originally Posted by unreal6 View Post
    If you want to show your support for manuals when you're not buying or driving your car, this is the T-shirt for you... I heard there was someone in the club working on trying to source a PDK Rules shirt, but I have no link to share.

http://thecurbshop.com/collections/t...signia-t-shirt
    Nice shirt although reverse and 1st should be on the other side of the lever
    '93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T
    Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    Nice shirt although reverse and 1st should be on the other side of the lever
    Hmmn…I think I can fix that lol!