CV Joint Failure Carnage

Guest RJ911SC

Guest RJ911SC

IMG_37811125317114-a.jpg

About a year ago, driving south on Deerfoot by Heritage Point, heard a bang, thought i ran over something, no gas, no brakes, put her in neutral, and costed tp a stop. Towed her home and put up on blocks, CV axel came off at the transmission, ripped of the E Brake cable, Brack line, Heater box Cable, throttle linkage, Bell Crank assembly, recently i have been semi healthy enough to try and fix, here is where i am at, replaced the E Brake cable, Heater box cables, Brake lines, bought the throttle linkage, CV'S replaced however i am having problems trying to find the whole Bell Crank assembly that hooks the throttle linakage togeather at the transmission, i have been searching on line and found a pic above of the same problem some else had, appreently quite commen on older 911's , #1 shows broken shaft bolt for the bell crank, mine is also gone and broken, how do i remove the broken end of the shaft? I cant find a complete bell crank assembly, any ideas as to where i can find one, new or used?

Any help, comments, sarcasim.........

#1 is the broken bolt shaft of the Bell Crank, How to remove?

#2 is the throttle linkage from the petal that connects to the Bell Crank at the transmission

# 3 is what is left of the throttle linkage from the bell crank to the engine, same as mine was.

Thanks

Rob

Guest RJ911SC

bell_crank.jpg

Should have posted this pic as well. Its the bell crank, i beleve there is also a shaft that connects this to the transmission

the shaft is the broken piece #1 on the tranmission, i dont know how to remove

Thanks again

Rob

The problem you experienced is likely the result of re using the CV bolts after disassembly from former work done on the chassis ... or an engine drop.

These bolts are a one use only item (i.e. consumables) and must be discarded after removal. When initially installed these bolts stretch when torqued and the subsequent recoil they undergo once tightened ensures the bolt does not loosen under load. The bolts are unable to sustain re torquing forces and do not tighten sufficiently on reuse.

Sorry I am unable to suggest a reliable source for the replacement parts you need.

rgds;

Rick

Guest RJ911SC
Try

http://www.easypor.com/

I dealt with this company before and they where very helpful. Did you check with Derek at South Center ?

Thank you Fritz for the link, i did order some other parts from Derek, they should be in next week, so i will bring the diagram with me to see what he has for pricing, i am a cheap SOB, so some times i find much cheaper online, the bolts i needed for my calipers were listed at $1.04, and he sells them at $4.09. So sometimes i dont bother with South Center.

However for hard to find he always pulls through.

Guest RJ911SC

Rick,

That make total sence to me, after researching online, this seems to be the problem with several cars, most cases work was done in the past, re using the same bolts, several people have mentioned using new bolts, plus either loctite, and or lock washers? Is that viable?

actually those washers are so called snorr washers. regular lock washers will not work and loctide will not work if the screw holes are not 100% oil free. Also those bolt's should be re-checked after 100km to see if they are tight.