Tech Tactics - Looking for interest and ideas.

Brodie

Jeff Gilmour has been working on bringing Tech Tactics to Calgary with the PCA and South Centre Porsche.

South Centre has graciously said they would host the event and provide lunch at no cost to the participants. Porsche Canada will be approached to participate in the event as well. It is planned to hold the event on a Saturday in the spring at South Centre.

What is Tech Tactics?

Here is a short explanation I pulled from the internet:

Tech Tactics is a day dedicated to all things Porsche related to Tech. From how to balance Weber carburetors for your 1970 Porsche 911S to understanding how your GTS Hybrid works. The event was born in 1980 in the heart of Zone One at the Harley Hotel north of Harford, CT. It quickly outgrew this facility and moved to the Springfield Sheraton where it resided for over twenty years. By the 1990’s it was the premier technical weekend for PCA with some renowned speakers; such as, Norbert Singer, Phil Hill, Derek Bell, and Brian Redman.

This will be a very informative, new, exciting event for our club and the first in Canada.

Some initial topics might be as followed for consideration:

- New tire technology

- Anti-lock braking systems

- PSM, how does it work?

- Various brake options 911/Cayman

- Carrera 4 drive-train

- 996 ownership maintenance and serviceing

- PDK transmission technology

Jeff needs an idea of how much interest there is and also needs to know what topics we would like covered.

Please post if you have an interest and what topic(s) you would like covered.

We need to know how many people would like to participate by December 19th.

I would like to attend.

Topics of interest:

PSM: How does it work?

IMS Bearing: Effectiveness of the replacement bearing

Thanks to Jeff for organizing this!

Shayne

Hi Brodie, Jeff (et al)

I too would be very interested in attending the proposed "Tech Tactics" session.

Topically, any of the common acronyms (current or vintage) will prove interesting.

Several for consideration .... discussion around Fuel Mngt., & Ignition systems (EFI, MFI, CDI, etc.) c/w trouble shooting techniques is always valuable. Especially when one or several amoung our group encounter problems :( during a driving event.

My two cents worth!

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick

Hi Jeff,

I too would be interested in the Tecktactics.

Would like to learn a bit about the affects of modern tire performance on older Porsches and areas that would need "modernization"

Whatever topics are chosen though, any day spent under the hood is a good day.

Thanks for setting this up

Paul

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

Thanks Jeff for spearheading this event. I too would like to participate. These issues might appeal to the vintage and modern crowd:

1. Suspension ride height - how does this affect alignment?

2. Alignment - tuning for performance vs. street set-up?

Marc

88 Carrera Coupe

Thanks Jeff for bringing this opportunity to Calgary. I am a techie and would enjoy participating. Topics of interest to me are

1. Rear Main Seal and Intermediate Shaft Bearing reliability issues and available preventative measures for 997/996 & 987/986

2. Remapping ECU benefits and risks

Yes, I'd be interested in attending. The IMS issue is the nearest to my heart right now, but many other good ones have been posted here already.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Jeff, this is such a great idea...thanks for planning it!

I am interested in attending but if I could make a totally selfish suggestion, can you please not book it March 30 or April 7?

As far as topics, many great ones have been suggested but I might include these two:

(1) "Heal and Toe" technique....might be difficult to show how it's done but maybe a video?

(2) Just how much can a 997 normally aspirated engine be "tweeked" and what are the repercussions?

Cheers!

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Great news that we are going to do this!

I too would like to hear about IMS failures and options.

Thanks.

Kevin

Edited by KevinJ

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

I'd be interested in attending this as well. I'd be happy learning anything Porsche related.

Dave

2004 Audi RS6 Avant

1994 Audi/Porsche RS2 Avant

1986 Porsche Carrera Targa (Sold)

I too would like to attend, interest for me is the earlier cars (meaning prior to 1989), but happy to hear about anything. If I had to pick a particular topic it would be primarily around preservation/rust prevention in the older cars....

Dennis