Badlands Motorsports Resort: First reading of re-zoning application approved.

A status update on the track in the Drumheller area (edited):

Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:16 PM

To: 'info@badlandsresort.com'

Subject: Badlands Motorsports Resort: First reading of re-zoning application approved.

Motorsports Enthusiasts:

After many years of development, we are pleased to announce that the first reading of our re-zoning application in Kneehill County to obtain a Direct Control District to develop a comprehensive Motorsports Facility, was approved almost unanimously (6:1) by council on March 12th, 2013.

The re-zoning application is to approve the development of a 4.4-mile multi-configuration Road Course, Paddock, Commercial Development, Non-motorsport Recreational Development, and Residential Development.

This is a significant step towards a World-Class Motorsports facility becoming a reality in Southern Alberta; a facility which is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of motorsports enthusiasts throughout Western Canada.

As many of you already know, this project has been in development since 2005. The process has taken longer than expected, but all issues have now been resolved.

We still have to go through a second reading (Public Hearing), which is scheduled for June 11th, 2013. However, based on information provided to us by the Development Office of the Kneehill County, we are confident that all of the concerns raised by the area citizens have been addressed and we are very optimistic that we will obtain the final approvals in June 2013.

Construction could start as soon as the Spring of 2014, with the track opening in 2015.

We have thoroughly updated the FAQ section of our website to reflect the recent developments and we have included much more detailed information about the project, the planned amenities, and the operation of the Road Course.

Please visit www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/faq.php for more information and for answers to many questions

My opinion is "Yay!" ;)

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

This is great news.

Having a brand new track facility as close as Drumheller will be welcome news to many. (car & bike enthusiasts both)

Will monitor their website often going forward.

Cheers

Barnsey!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I heard second hand that they have now had third reading and the permit has been approved. I look forward to demonstrating to residents that their fears weren't warranted! Good for us, good for them. Edited by Perci
bad speeling

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

• 5 months later...

Another update from Jay...A step closer.

Motorsports Enthusiasts,

We are pleased to announce that after the Public Hearing regarding the Badlands Motorsports Resorts' application for a redesignation of the project lands from the current “A” Agriculture designation to “DCD” Direct Control District on December 4th, 2013, Second Reading of Bylaw 1657 was passed by Kneehill County Council.

The third (Final) reading of the Bylaw will be voted on by council after the new year. If passed the development will proceed and further Public Hearings are not a requirement.

Regards,

Jay Zelazo

President and CEO,

Badlands Motorsports Resort

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

• 1 month later...
KMR 968 Turbo

An announcement from Jay on another forum.....looks like we will have a track again in the not too distant future.

Today at the regular meeting of the Kneehill County Council, the Badlands Motorsport Resort Land Use Bylaw # 1657 received third and final reading and was passed._

_

Our land is now rezoned to SPECIFIC DIRECT CONTROL DISTRICT DC4_that will_allow development of_ BADLANDS MOTORSPORT_RESORT.

_

There are no contingencies. We still need permits, and to get those we need to complete a Environmental Impact Assessment (slightly more detailed than the Biophysical Impact Assessment we have done) and a Traffic Impact Assessment, but we knew this all along._ There is no more public hearings.

_

The Project is a go._

CEO

• 2 weeks later...
This is great news! I can't wait! With the scenery and the elevation changes this could be a world-class track in our backyard. I heard that it was close and it's good to know that it's going to happen.
05 911 C2S (997.1) in black with PCCB

"Excellent" news indeed.

Even though it is still several years away from completion, we should consider making this a discussion item on an upcoming monthly meeting agenda.

I for one would like to better understand what we as a club need to do to ensure we will have access to track time for DE & Autocross events.

Thoughts?

Barnsey! :cool:

Edited by Rick

I definitely hope there are some regular PCA club events and races when the track is ready. As a performance enthusiast I would find it more fun to do that than a leisurely drive in the country, which I do all the time anyway... in the summer months I mean!

From what I read the track memberships will be sold sort of like a golf course membership. I am sure some PCA members will join but planning something for the rest of people who are PCA members but not track members would be something to look into.

05 911 C2S (997.1) in black with PCCB
KMR 968 Turbo
I have e-mailed the owners and it has been indicated that they intend to run at least part of the track as a rental facility to car clubs such as ours. Naturally there are a lot of things that have not been put together yet (ie: costs, structure, responsibilities, etc.) but the fact that it will allow car clubs to rent the facility for track events is a positive one.
  • 1 month later...
Guest RJ911SC

If this finally goes through, very exciting.

They have updated the site to include the following;

Motorsports Enthusiasts,

With the critical re-zoning Bylaw for our project to proceed passed into law in January, we are actively finalizing all the specific design details of the project that will be built.

We have just completed the Final Design of the Motorsports facility which includes many significant changes from our original 2007 design. A map of the new design has been posted on our website. We have also added detail about the new track configurations, the reason for the changes, and how the new design will be better.

http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/detailed-track-design-update/

Information as also been posted about our Development Timeline and Goals.

http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/development-timeline-update/

Going forward we will also be posting updates on our Facebook page which you can follow here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badlands-Motorsports-Resort/368878409893312

Regards,

Jay Zelazo

President and CEO,