From the old forum - where to get DIY stuff in Calgary

Keith Adams

Keith Adams

I thought I'd start a thread and see if it prompts any discussion. Where do you get all the stuff you need for working on your car - tools, parts, supplies, etc. I'd like to build a resource guide aimed at local supply. So in the different categories:

TOOLS

I like the Hazet tools. Concept-1 ( http://www.concept1.ca ) has started bringing them in. Price lists are on their website. Although they are a VW shop, they speak Porsche (the owner is a PCA member). I like the Hazet stuff as things like the screwdrivers are metric slot sizes, and they are really meant to be "mechanic's" tools, not the Princess Auto variety - they have a lot of special tools for the newer cars too. Hazet also has a good selection of air tools.

Other tools I like ar FACOM ( I have a few of their screwdrivers) but no idea who carries them locally. SK tools? Festool? Any ideas on these locally?

STORAGE

I honestly have no idea on this one. Is there anything locally for *good* garage storage that doesn't require a millionaire's budget? Shelving, storage bins, tool boxes (Lista?), etc.

DETAILING SUPPLIES

I'll confess that I order all my stuff from http://www.eshine.ca There is some stuff available locally, but seems to require a lot of running around - bodyshop supply places, Bowness Auto, Napa, Mopac - there doesn't seem to be "the place" in town to pick up stuff like decent glazes, polishes and waxes. You can only get by on what Canadian Tire carries for so long :p

AUTOBODY SUPPLIES

Sort of like the detailing supplies, but where's the best source? Somewhere that carries DeVlibiss or SATA guns, decent selection of primers and paints? I've always used Bowness Auto and the PPG stuff.

UPHOLSTERY

I have no idea on this one at all. If you needed a piece of carpet or vinyl or leather, or seat foam, or upholsterer's glue, where to get it?

GENERAL SHOP SUPPLIES

Stuff like degreasers, spray paints, rust eaters, metric hardware, etc. Where's a good place to get Wurth stuff? I know Andrew said he can order it, but is there a place that has it on the shelf for that Saturday afternoon "Crap, I need XXXX" emergency? Stuff like undercoating, trim adhesive and whatnot. Mopac carries the Eastwood stuff.

Metric hardware - who in town has a good selection of various metric nuts and bolts we'd need (mostly for the older cars I suppose) to replace the rusted/stripped/broken ones, without having to buy a gross of them to get one bolt?

Oil - we have a place that carries Brad Penn (whose name escapes me at the moment - a place that does muscle cars), Mopac carries Royal Purple and Redline. No Swepco dealer locally?

• 2 weeks later...

What about distributor caps and rotors? I think a couple of year ago I was able to get them from Autoparts Plus or something like that...

Polish, I went away from it for my 911, I use Zaino Brothers stuff now, not messy and last a lot longer than polish.

Bob James

06 Cayman S

2018 Macan GTS

I find Bowness Auto can get quite a few Porsche Parts and most of the time they beat our locacal P-car suppliers.

I deal with Roy and he is a source of informations.