18" Carerra Rim Repair

Rob996

Jsut after Christmas I was able to purchace a set of 18" Carrera rims from another member. I figured it was time to bring my 1986 Porsche 928S out of the 80's and into the present. I spent a lot of time trying to find aftermarket rims with a 5x130 bolt pattern that would have the offset required to get around the larger front breaks on the 928S. When Malcolm mentioned he had a set of 18" rims from his 928GTS my search was over. The rims are in great shape except for a small mark from a run in with a curb on the front left tire.

We figured that it was something that could be fixed so the sale was completed. A few weeks latter I dropped the rim and tire off at Alberta Wheel Repair. That is when it was noticed the rim was cracked just above where the bead lip was bent. He assured me they could fix it.

6 days latter I received a call that my rim was repaired. When I picked up the rim I was amazed that it was even the same rim. You could have told me that it was new from the dealer and I would have beleived it.

The cost..........$252 including GST.

The service there was great and ther workmanship was amazing. The removed the tire off the rim, stripped the finnish from the rim, then they do the required repair, re-paint/re-finish the rim, re-mount the tire and ballance it.

Now the only problem I have is that it looks nicer that the other 3. hahaha

He quoted me $180 per rim to do a standard re-finish of the other rims if there are no major repairs required.

Here are the before and after pics.

IMG_00000884.jpgIMG_00000883.jpgIMG_00000926.jpg

Edited by 86-928S

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

Glad to hear they are still fighting the good fight Rob. Years ago I had them fix a MoMo rim for me that got munched into a curb. It had a machined face with a clearcoat on it, so it wasn't an easy wheel to fix. They did a fantastc job and it didn't cost much.