Join Today
    WRR Committee - Newsletter Editor KevinJ's Avatar

Speeding and Bragging Online Don't Mix

Interesting story in the news today of a young man who bragged of his speeding online and was convicted for speeding as a result!

CBC News

Boasting online

A driver boasts about going 140 km/h on a road with a 40 km/h speed limit. Read the full post.

Vladimir Rigenco was banned from driving for six months and sentenced to 12 months probation after entering his plea Aug. 5, York Regional Police said in a statement released Tuesday.

York police were approached April 9 by an American man, who informed them of a post made on an online car forum in which Rigenco described how he drove his 2006 BMW M5S in excess of 100 km/h over the speed limit on Apple Blossom Drive in Vaughan, just north of Toronto.

According to the police release, several of those who follow the BMW 5 Series forum "lambasted" him and "proved themselves responsible by not encouraging the suspect's behaviour."

Police investigated the case and arrested Rigenco on April 16 and charged him with careless driving.

As part of his sentence, Rigenco also has to complete a remedial driving course and pay a $1,000 fine.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...#ixzz0wG3LkIHr

Here is the guy's posting on the web... http://forums.5series.net/topic/9549...h-on-a-40-zone

Whoa. Good to know ...
    Jim

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements
    07 black/black 911 Turbo - EVOMS, Techart, HRE P43SC wheels
    91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - Getting more stock every day

This might seem obvious but people have also posted videos of themselves speeding on various web sites over the years and have been charged.

The PCA also DOES NOT condone these type of activities. In the PCA Tour Guidelines, it is clearly indicated in no less than 3 places in the document that Speed Limits must be observed at all times. Further, ""driver attitude": unsafe driving, speeding, passing and use of alcohol or drugs arereasons to be excluded from the tour."

There is no excuse for speeding on our club tours. If there happens to be an incident that is caused by speeding, our insurance may not cover the club due to negligence.

The PCA offers up several venues throughout the year that present an opportunity to exercise your Porsche in a LEGAL and SAFE manner in our High Performance Driving Events. Our chapter alone has held 1 Driver's Ed day, 1 Autocross day, and 5 / 6 DE Clinics. 7 of these events aer at Race City.

We have one DE Clinic left this year at Race City, if you are curious - come on out. September 13 2-7PM.

Scott Sherman
    2010 Safety Chair

WRR Committee - Newsletter Editor KevinJ's Avatar
    Scott:

Very good points you add to this.

I for one can recommend the track days. I've learned a lot about improving my driving - especially at the Jay Pringle Driver Education day. I highly recommend members get out to these!

Kevin

Not surprising that in a province where they will charge a grandmother with "street racing" that they would convict on that.

WOW must have had the worst lawyer ever. How can you convict with the word or mouth of an 18 year old bragging on the forum?
    Bob James

79 - 911 SC Sold

06 Cayman S
    2010 Panamera Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
    WOW must have had the worst lawyer ever. How can you convict with the word or mouth of an 18 year old bragging on the forum?
    In a bored evening, I waded through quite a bit of the original M5 thread. Took me something like 4 beers to get through it all, but I digress. Seems the police had local eyewitnesses that after going door to door in the neighbourhood, came forward about the incident in question - securing the conviction. Without the forum bragging though, my guess is the whole incident would have slid by.

To save others the agony of having to read that other forum, I'll share a couple of relevant details I picked up on. This 18 y.o. kid had his 500 BHP car for only a few weeks prior to posting his accomplishment of doing 140 in a 40kmh zone (with complete details on the day/street/city name of where he did it). Rather than getting the expected hero-worship replies, he gets (appropriately) lambasted by the M5 crowd, who last fall, saw a similar teenager owner post similar boasts, only to crash his M5 with 4 other occupants, removing 5 young people from this earth in the process. Early on in his 24 page thread, he talks about how he dislikes driving while he's high, and doesn't do it very often ?!?. And a week after his initial post, he throws up another thread announcing he'd crashed his M5 into a pole, but able to correct most of the damage in a friends garage with $5K worth of parts (without having to report anything to police/insurance). Clearly, I wouldn't want to have this guy cruising around my neighbourhood either.

Yep - gone are the days of 18 year olds just being happy to have a car (usually a $500 rusty old Buick) and in to the world where they all have $70K in lifted brodozer pick 'em ups and high performance sports cars.