I miss AutoX's here

stealthn

Surely we should be able to find a venue for Auto crosses in Calgary this year? McMahon parking lot, one of the big malls, stampede grounds, COP? Something....?

There has got to be a place that is big, clear enough, and doesn't have neighbours that complain....

Anyone have any thoughts?

Bob

Bob James

06 Cayman S

2018 Macan GTS

• 2 years later...
KMR 968 Turbo

I am the current track chair. However, the only autocross venue I am aware of is near Fort McLeod. That is where the Solo 2 guys have been going. Who is doing autocross at Cross Iron Mills? To the best of my knowledge most public places won't entertain the idea due to liability and damage issues. Plus there is nothing in it for them. No incentive to allow use of their pavement and they get all the risk. ( PS: just noticed date of original post. Maybe at one time there was limited use at Crossiron but no longer. In fact, it is getting difficult to even get permission to do a car show. )

Our sister region, Big Sky, has two track days at an air base near Lewistown that is used for driver training. Full track lapping, not autocross. Would make a nice weekend jaunt. I investigated old airstrips near here (Vulcan and Claresholm) and one the surface was too broken up to safely use and the other had municipal barriers.

Also there is news on the local track front, the Badlands Motorsports Resort has announced they submitted their development plan and if approved quickly they could begin construction this year.

Edited by KMR 968 Turbo
  • 2 months later...

^^^ thanks, perhaps check it out at least.

Do you need a helmet?

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone.

My name is Paul Trudel and I'm relatively new to this club. The reason I'm responding to this post is because I also belong to the Southern Alberta Solo Association and spent the last weekend helping them out with a 2 day autocross event at our "YYC" venue. On Saturday there was a novice school and practice and Sunday was our 2nd Championship event held in conjunction with the CSCC. We ran 90 drivers through in multiple classes on a ~50 second course 4times in the morning and 4 times in the afternoon and finishing before 4PM. We still do use the Fort MacLeod runway and Westerner parking lot in Red Deer for other events.

I love this sport and tracking (997.2 TS) and do more than 30 events total per year. If anyone in the club is interested in more info I would be glad to help.

I did meet a couple of WRR members spectating on Sunday and they did some ride along's for impact. There is more info and schedule available on http://forums.sascsolo.com/ if anyone is interested.

Regards PaulT

Paul T

991.2 Turbo S

991.2 GT3

To fFollow Up with Paul's post. It was Marc S and I who were there this past Saturday. The Region is looking into having SASA host an event or 2 for us this summer of 2017. Details will follow later if it is a go.

Kevin

Hello everyone.

My name is Paul Trudel and I'm relatively new to this club. The reason I'm responding to this post is because I also belong to the Southern Alberta Solo Association and spent the last weekend helping them out with a 2 day autocross event at our "YYC" venue. On Saturday there was a novice school and practice and Sunday was our 2nd Championship event held in conjunction with the CSCC. We ran 90 drivers through in multiple classes on a ~50 second course 4times in the morning and 4 times in the afternoon and finishing before 4PM. We still do use the Fort MacLeod runway and Westerner parking lot in Red Deer for other events.

I love this sport and tracking (997.2 TS) and do more than 30 events total per year. If anyone in the club is interested in more info I would be glad to help.

I did meet a couple of WRR members spectating on Sunday and they did some ride along's for impact. There is more info and schedule available on http://forums.sascsolo.com/ if anyone is interested.

Regards PaulT

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

• 4 weeks later...