Bohemian Rhapsody?

unreal6

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/09/25/muscle-hatch-4015-speed-1978-amc-pacer/

OK, so maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but in my BAT inbox today was a car you never see, that I found ummm, interesting. Interesting enough to share here. The ultimate hot rod that Wayne and Garth should have been singing opera in.

However, looking at these pictures, does anyone else see a (weak) attempt by the designers to rip off the 928? Just for the record, I really like 928's...

I saw that this morning too. Interesting choice of car to put all that work into.

As for the design, I can see a little bit of resemblance, but the Pacer was actually 2 years ahead of the 928 to market.

Hi there

OK ... I count among the "is that what I think it is" camp ... when I try to reconcile my memories of the fish bowl on wheels vs. the reinterpreted Pacer that is the subject of this thread!

My hats' off to the pair that saw the potential within such an historically ugly duckling. Hot rodding ROCKS! Schwing!

To answer your question Ian, from both the rear & rear corner view that particular car does bear a cartoon resemblance to a 928. :confused:

Barnsey! :cool:

Edited by Rick

"A cartoon resemblance", that's a great description of what I thought I saw here. The hint of 928 was obviously helped by the black paint, the deep tint, the dechroming etc, I've certainly never thought 928 when I've looked at any other Pacer before.

My initial thought was maybe the AMC designer saw a 928 concept at the Frankfurt show, and tried to incorporate some design elements into his new compact family car. The alternative (to CeddieB's point that the Pacer actually preceded the 928), is maybe more interesting. That the Porsche designer saw a Pacer concept, and somehow was able to distill some design elements from that train wreck and transform them into his very successful design.

I can't think of any other period cars that shared that outrageous jellybean shape concept other than these two (one executed beautifully, one not so much). Probably no connection at all, but its fun to speculate.

the 928 was designed, engineered and built by Porsche being the fastest production car in the world in 1987 when Al Hobert took it to the Salt Flats.

The cartoon car in this thread..........not so much!

Alain Prost 4 time F1 champion

prost 928.jpg

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

the 928 was designed, engineered and built by Porsche being the fastest production car in the world in 1987

No arguments there. The neighbor kid had a Pacer when we were in high school. 232 CI one barrel. More than just being ugly and vastly underpowered, the worst part was this weird burbling noise it made. I often had the choice of hitching a ride to school in that car, or taking the bus. I got kind of used to wearing the bag on my head. Now, if his folks had only bought him a 928... :rolleyes: (or the black Pacer here).

Hi Malcolm

Absolutely share your passion for 928's. I consider them to be what Corvettes' try to capture, but continue to miss on overall sophistication.

You might enjoy the article that appeared in today's Driving section in the Calgary Herald.

http://driving.ca/acura/auto-news/entertainment/top-10-vehicles-that-need-to-be-resurrected-right-now#.VCyl3alJjE8

Check out #9 on their resurrection list!

sincerely;

Barnsey! :cool:

Edited by Rick