The evolution of a hobby!

Rick

Good afternoon everyone

This Sundays' sunny skies and reasonable (for fall) temperatures had me thinking about my perpetual interest in cars.

Over the last five years that interest has been focused solely on Porsche. (you weren't expecting something else on a Porsche website .. were you?) I would have indulged my interest earlier if not for the other priorities life & personal choices set in front of us.

In those five years my enthusiasm hasn't faded, however my personal choices have evolved. From realizing ownership of my all time favourite ... the iconic 930 as my very first ... to a much loved 1987 911 3.2 ltr. (Thanks Ken & Dina) to the immensely capable 996 GT3 I currently own.

Each have a character unique from the others, but all share the pedigree of 50 yrs. of race inspired & proven development.

While reminiscing about each of those cars I realized that I had pictures of all three (+1) ... in the same spot on our driveway. Here they are .. presented in the same order/sequence of ownership.

#1.) 1987 930

image.jpg

#2.) 1987 911 Carrera

Euro height 32.jpg

#3.) 1995 993 Carrera Cabriolet

1995 Carrera 008.jpg

#4.) .. 2004 996 GT3

image.jpg

I would be very interested in seeing pictures of what other WRR members have owned over the years .. in subsequent posts .. or in reply to this one.

Enjoy!

Barnsey! :cool:

Edited by Rick

Rick I'd love to get a ride along in the GT3 once we have a track again! You've bought great car! Have a great winter!

Kevin

Edited by KevinJ

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Rick,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, filled with a bunch of beautiful Porsches that have graced your driveway. I'm probably most partial to the 930 and those sexy hips, but that Gt3 is drool worthy in its own right!

I would be very interested in seeing pictures of what other WRR members have owned over the years .. in subsequent posts .. or in reply to this one.

My vintage German obsession started 15 years ago, when I took the opportunity to restore my wife's first ever car - a 65 Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Took me 4 years to get it apart, find the bits and pieces, and put it back together. Still have the car, but sadly it won't keep up on any of the PCA runs!

65 T34 Restoration (600).jpg

65 T34 Post Restoration (600).jpg

I should have guessed that the car virus had taken hold when I decided to add another one, this time my first Porsche, a 66 912 I drove back from SoCal in 2002. One ride in a fellow PCA member's big type 4 (914) powered 912 resulted in a transformation project, new paint and a 2.7L powerplant.

On the way home...

66 912 - Northern CA Coast - on way home (600).jpg

66 912 Restoration (600).jpg

66 912 2.7L Post Restoration (600).jpg

The next project illustrates the dangers of unsupervised internet surfing. Ran across a beautiful, available, but slightly fire damaged 914-6 conversion. Title wouldn't allow me to drive it on the street, but somehow convinced my wife it was a good idea to bring it home!

75 914 signal orange - as purchased (600).jpg

As I couldn't drive it, logical solution is to find another 914-4, drive that back from California too!

75 914-4 malega red - prepurchase (600).jpg

Taking the first apart, and putting some of the better parts onto the new one yields...

75 914 signal orange - dismantled (600).jpg

and...

75 914-6 Road Trip (600).jpg

Finally, after selling the 912, I can also bear witness to the temptation to those afflicted with the Porsche virus of the danger of an empty garage spot... Its all a blur, and I don't really know how it happened, but this 86 951 followed me home from Nebraska this spring.

86 951.jpg

So far, I've managed to keep my marriage intact despite this sickness. She still lets me attend car events, but with three golden rules to which I must adhere. 1) Phone home daily. 2) Wear sunscreen. 3) Don't bring home any more cars.

2 of 3 is still a pass I think.

Excellent post Ian and thanks for sharing! I'm really impressed with what you did to that Karmann Ghia...is it still part of your collection?:cool:

On a side note Rick, you may already be aware of this but the UK Porsche magazine Total911, issue 117, has a GREAT article titled "GT3 Bloodline" which covers "all five generations of the red-hot performance 911 on road and track"! AND, to boot, it has your beauty on the front cover! I believe that I bought it as an October issue. I'd be happy to pass it on to you if you wish.

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Hi Alex

I have made an effort to search & read everything I can find on each of the models I have had the good fortune to own. I was not aware of the Oct. 2014 version of Total 911 featuring GT3's. I will look at Chapters for a copy ... as they often leave previous versions on shelf with the current.

If unsuccessful, I would be grateful to borrow your issue.

Must state that most everything I have read to date on GT3s matches the "real experience" of piloting this purpose built assault on your senses.

Edited by Rick
Rick,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, filled with a bunch of beautiful Porsches that have graced your driveway. I'm probably most partial to the 930 and those sexy hips, but that Gt3 is drool worthy in its own right!

My vintage German obsession started 15 years ago, when I took the opportunity to restore my wife's first ever car - a 65 Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Took me 4 years to get it apart, find the bits and pieces, and put it back together. Still have the car, but sadly it won't keep up on any of the PCA runs!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3771[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3772[/ATTACH]

I should have guessed that the car virus had taken hold when I decided to add another one, this time my first Porsche, a 66 912 I drove back from SoCal in 2002. One ride in a fellow PCA member's big type 4 (914) powered 912 resulted in a transformation project, new paint and a 2.7L powerplant.

On the way home...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3774[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3775[/ATTACH]

The next project illustrates the dangers of unsupervised internet surfing. Ran across a beautiful, available, but slightly fire damaged 914-6 conversion. Title wouldn't allow me to drive it on the street, but somehow convinced my wife it was a good idea to bring it home!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3776[/ATTACH]

As I couldn't drive it, logical solution is to find another 914-4, drive that back from California too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3777[/ATTACH]

Taking the first apart, and putting some of the better parts onto the new one yields...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3778[/ATTACH]

and...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3779[/ATTACH]

Finally, after selling the 912, I can also bear witness to the temptation to those afflicted with the Porsche virus of the danger of an empty garage spot... Its all a blur, and I don't really know how it happened, but this 86 951 followed me home from Nebraska this spring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3780[/ATTACH]

So far, I've managed to keep my marriage intact despite this sickness. She still lets me attend car events, but with three golden rules to which I must adhere. 1) Phone home daily. 2) Wear sunscreen. 3) Don't bring home any more cars.

2 of 3 is still a pass I think.

Good evening Ian

Thanks for sharing the saga of your infliction .. and the awesome results of your efforts in each case. You epitomize "vintage with flare" my friend.

Barnsey!

That's the one. I buy the hard copy on occasion from Indigo.

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Couldn't find a print copy, so purchased the digital version. Thanks for letting me know about it in the first place! ;)

Came across the link below while looking for the GT3 Bloodline edition ... and thought it should be shared here.

http://www.total911.com/video-porsche-sound-nacht-2014/

Great audio from some rare P cars to keep your blood flowing through the winter.

Enjoy

Edited by Rick

Hey Rick and Ian,

Thanks for sharing your stories. As you know, I caught the Porsche virus only 4 years ago (had been incubating for decades though....), and lately decided my solitary 911 needs a stable mate. In the meantime, how do we convince Ken McDonald to chronicle his collection?

Marc

88 Carrera

Hi Mark (et al)

I trust you recognize that the number of Porsche's one has (or has owned serially) is not an accurate measure of the severity of the infliction.

It should be noted that the virus is rather complex and may present in various forms. Change of seasons, state of mind, ease of access to the Internet, length of incubation period .. are all recognized as powerful triggers.

I am personally most susceptible to the "change of seasons" trigger. Symptoms include, surfing known Car & Performance equipment web sites, obsessive desire for MORE horsepower, prolonged periods of time spent in the garage staring at the car (often accompanied by auditory hallucinations of intake & exhaust tones).

In the late stages .. lapses of memory occur. This is only evident some weeks later when UPS, Purolator, and Canada Post deliveries containing intake plenums, exhaust systems, new wheels, tires, suspension upgrades and decals begin arriving at home.

The presence of multiple triggers at one time often result in a second or new car appearing in ones' driveway.

This latest drop in temperature has resulted in an IPD Intake Plenum arriving at our home. It promises an additional 26 hp & 28 ft/lbs. of torque for my 996 GT3 (ah huh) ... and it's only Nov. 29th!

I am not aware of any available inoculation so brace yourselves fellow Porschephiles ... winter has just begun.

95 993 Guards Red Cabriolet

04 996 Arctic Silver GT3

In Ken MacDonald's case it is well known that he is both a carrier and victim of the virus. A Typhoid Mary of sorts. His collection is epic .. or perhaps epidemic?

Edited by Rick

"I trust you recognize that the number of Porsche's one has (or has owned serially) is not an accurate measure of the severity of the infliction..........I am personally most susceptible to the "change of seasons" trigger. .............evident some weeks later when UPS, Purolator, and Canada Post deliveries........."

that is all so true Rick.........I have a delivery from USPS heading my way as we type!

Growing up where I did fast cars and racing were my bent since early teens after all we had 2 F1 World champions born and raised from not far from home.

It wasn't until other life events came and went (and still hang around) that I got into Porsche cars almost 15 years ago now and living in a very rural part of Alberta learned how to maintain then repair the marque.

We now have 2 sports cars in the garage as well as a SUV from our favoured car maker; each has there own story and given we are in early winter I'll find time to add to this thread and our stories.

Now.....where was that black Friday sale on Rennlist??? :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Good evening

My collection of enhancements for the GT3 continues to grow, in spite of our unseasonably warm weather. Clearly .. the affliction persists even though one is not couped up inside. (Hum ... fresh air & sun shine are no anecdote!!)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not certain the radio upgrade is a wise choice.

I never listened to the high end system I put in my 87 Carrera ... because I like the sounds of the car as much as any song I've ever heard ... and the GT3 produces an even sweeter soundtrack!!

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick