Cayenne cylinder scoring.

enthusiast

Hi all, had a friend mention to me today that he’s experienced terminal cylinder scoring on TWO Cayennes. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Jeff

Not on ours, +250k kms and no issues.

There are several posts on Rennlist about cylinder scoring, IIRC they were all older models.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

That’s a good mileage with no issues. I’ve read the Rennkist posts and learned some newer vehicles had it too but the posts some people put are scary. Some suggest 1 in 5 had the issue but I just can’t see that. Seems like they are excellent vehicles.
KMR 968 Turbo

Our 2008 Cayenne Turbo had scored cylinders at 120kms. We only owned it for 4 months when we found out. The new block from Porsche has improved cross hatching. Scoring appears to happen more frequently in cold climates. Another interesting thing is there have been 5 updates to the oil pump and a new style windage tray. Makes one think Porsche is aware of the problem.

PS: Where my engine is being built ther was another earlier model Cayenne S with a blown engine. And I have pictures of another first generation turbo with scored cylinders. There is a reason they come up cheap used

Edited by KMR 968 Turbo

Hmmm - I have an 08 Turbo and my Mom has an 04 S... what was the telltale sign? Knocking? Ticking?

No block heaters on these - interesting design to be sure as cold doesn’t seem to be favourable...

KMR 968 Turbo
My engine started with a light ticking noise. At first it was diagnosed with a possible timing chain tensioner problem. But after the cylinders were inspected it was obvious the walls were scored. The vehicle didn’t use much oil and no smoke out the pipes could be seen. I will find some of the bore pics so you can see what the damage was. Reading online another issue people brought up was the long oil change intervals approved by Porsche. It is recommended to change your oil much more frequently - like every 6000kms - if you live in a cold climate.
with respect to oil changes; Rotella 0W40 and new filter every 10k kms

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

What happened to the 5000km oil change intervals? I understand oils are getting better and engines and more efficient but long distance driving, hauling, track days, AutoX, spirited drives, dust conditions, cold weather etc all on the same oil change, no way.. I remember the mobil1/Porsche commercial saying oil changes every 30000km?. This is what you get when you don’t change your oil Mobil/Porsche. Pretty sure I change my oil every 2500-3000km, this is normally due to the age of the oil and not by KM’s, eery 3 months or 5000km for me.

Best,

Mike

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

What happened to the 5000km oil change intervals? I understand oils are getting better and engines and more efficient but long distance driving, hauling, track days, AutoX, spirited drives, dust conditions, cold weather etc all on the same oil change, no way.. I remember the mobil1/Porsche commercial saying oil changes every 30000km?. This is what you get when you don’t change your oil Mobil/Porsche. Pretty sure I change my oil every 2500-3000km, this is normally due to the age of the oil and not by KM’s, eery 3 months or 5000km for me.

Best,

Mike

Mike......IIRC the original Cayennes had an oil change interval of 20k kms. Our '09 has the revised interval of 15k kms in the owners manual with recommendation to use Mobil oil.

I chose to ignore both recommendations using full synthetic Shell Rotella at 10k kms interval with a new oil filter and have being doing so since we owned the SUV. At +250k kms and counting with no engine issues and no oil consumption at all between changes Id say its working fine :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

• 2 weeks later...

Best,

Mike

Definitely. You cannot change your oil too often. I think Range Rover was peddling the same nonsense but happily the one I bought had documented oil changes every 10,000 km. I'm sticking to an 8,000 km interval in that car from now on.

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

• 5 months later...
Jake Raby has done videos on bore scoring that are interesting. He doesn’t have a definitive conclusion as to the cause, and occurs in other makes as well. Best answer is Nicasil cylinder liners.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Keith Adams
Definitely. You cannot change your oil too often. I think Range Rover was peddling the same nonsense but happily the one I bought had documented oil changes every 10,000 km. I'm sticking to an 8,000 km interval in that car from now on.

I'm sticking to that with my Cayenne TT as well - I figure a couple of jugs of oil and a filter are cheap insurance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

My 2cents...... Was bore scoring ever an issue with older cars? One theory (Jake Raby) out there is that it is due to fuel dilution, especially with direct fuel injection engines. Leaky or poor performing fuel injectors, combined with long engine oil drain intervals can lead to problems? He suggests adding an injector cleaner to the gas occasionally.

Marc