Opinions On Base 997 Cabriolet For Winter

deemar

Has anyone tried running a cabriolet as a daily driver in the winter here in Calgary? Should I avoid it?

I'm looking at a 997 and I was hoping for a coupe but this cabriolet has become available and I don't know whether it would work well with a good set of winter tires.

My name is Daniel, I drive a white 981 Boxster.

Daniel, The cab roof provides full weather protection and probably more insulation than the coupe. One draw back to the cab is that over time the top shows its age and will likely wear out sooner if it's driven in extreme weather. The bigger question however is whether it is a good idea to drive any 911 through a Calgary winter. With the right tires it can handle everything our climate dishes out but its the other drivers that you have to worry about. Although Porsches, and especially 911s hold their value extremely well they lose value if they have been hit and no matter how well it was repaired a car that once had damage (or was stolen)will be worth a lot less when you want to sell or trade it in. You should be warm, safe an in control in a 911 throughout the winter but the risks of driving your "pride and joy"  in really bad weather have to be taken into consideration.